Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave it a shot on my terribly oxidized Steering column covers
by using 220 grit sand paper, "0" steel wool, and "0000" steel wool, and the crud came off, revealing the original color underneath. Leaves a smooth finish, but it's better than the alternative...oh, and I dressed it out a bit with some light weight machine oil....just to cover any minor scratches...may be something better than that though...

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Re: Oxidized Plastic interior parts CAN be restore

you could have just cleaned and shot with vinyl paint... Doh

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The oxidation allowed for deep scarring of the surface. Just painting would have left the ruts, and paint matching would have required more time. I cannot settle for mediocrity...:)

·
Registered
602 Posts

The vinyl paint works GREAT! I used the Krylon Vinyl paint and everything looks fabulous. Rustoleum makes one too. Paint matching was not a problem because I did everything, doorpanels, console, kicks.....Just wiped everything down with denatured alcohol and sprayed away. To be honest, the stuff performed far better than I expected. I have a brand new interior!

steve 77

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Hmm...well, I guess since I was trying to keep everything else in
the car which is in perfect shape (all but the steering column and change holder) the same, it made more sense to go my route. HOWEVER, I will remember the suggestion in the future as time takes its toll.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
23 Posts

i just took the steering column covers off and used light and heavy duty sandpaper and then painted it with primer and vinyl paint. turned out real good. i did it on some other interior parts that usually get messed up by the sun. anyhoo, my interior looks like new

·
Registered
60 Posts

Has anybody used lanolin oil on oxidised plastic? I have heard it restores the colour and wel,l basically is top stuff all round as far as a multipurpose lubricant goes. Any experience?

Loops

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.