ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My car started over heating this morning and the heater stopped working. I have replaced the thermostat and flushed the radiator. Any ideas on whats happening??? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ITS A 79 280ZX WITH ABOUT 192,000 MILES.....BUT I THINK I FOUND THE PROBLEM. I GOT TO LOOK AT THE CAR TODAY ON MY LUNCH BREAK. LOOKS LIKE A HOLE IN ONE OF THE TOP HEATER HOSES. NOW I GOT TO FIND OUT WHERE ALL THE OIL IS POURING FROM NOW.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Oh man. You know I wake up from nightmares of watching my temperature guage rise and not being able to do anything about it. I hope that it did not get too hot.

·
Registered
171 Posts
how hot is too hot?

my car has been overheating, it had a crack in the radiator which i had re-cored, but its still hotter than id like it to be. im pretty sure its the thermostat, which i will be replacing this weekend. however, a couple of times it got so hot it just about pegged the temp needle at 250. at this point it runs rough and will even stall sometimes. how would i know if i did any permanent damage?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Re: how hot is too hot?

Well I would check the oil dipstick for signs of water(little bubbles of water). Then pull the plugs and see if you don't have oil fouling a few of them. If you do You blew the head gasket and may have warped the head. Sometimes you can get away with putting some ALUMA SEAL powder in the radiator and see if it can clogg the leak, but clean the plugs or it will make no difference, and make sure to turn on your heater so that the ALUM SEAL doesn't clogg your heater valve.
I doubt you could have done anything more serious than a blown gasket and maybe tweeked head. The oil should have been able to cope with that heat and saved any moving parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.