ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 72 240 with an L28 has a problem with overheating. When I bought it the radiator was cracked, so I had it re-cored. I re-installed it on friday. It doesnt overheat quite as badly, but operating temp seems to be around 230 degrees. I'm worried about warping my aluminum head! How can I keep it cooler? **** this car has proved more frustrating than I had anticipated...thanks guys

·
Registered
68 Posts
Have you checked your thermostat? If it is old it may be sticking and not opening up for the water to go through. Replace it and see what happens, it won't hurt. Use a 160 or 180 thermostat. Since you have carbs, it should be okay to use a 160. Good luck.

chadzx

·
Registered
68 Posts
Re: where?

You should be able to get one from AutoZone, Advanced Auto, Napa, or any parts place like that. If they don't have one in stock, they should be able to order it. Check around and let me know how things come out.

chadzx

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Put a thermometer in the rad...

Use a cheap meat temperature cooking thermometer in the coolant after removing the rad cap and let the engine come up to temperature. I use one that costs a buck at the dollar store.

Your gauge temperature sending unit may not be correct. Clean the electrical contact at the bullet connector.

DO NOT use the themometer for cooking afterwards.

Wayne Monteath
Masham, Quebec.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: Put a thermometer in the rad...

79 is quite right except the part about using the thermometer to cook after, lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.