ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 78 280Z 5spd, the car runs great. I had it for a few years. Last week I noticed the temp gage would start to rise when I stopped at read lights, the longer the light the higher the gage would go. Once I started driving the temp would go back down. I have driven for 30 or 40 miles and the weather would be in the 80s and as long as Im moving its fine. I would like to get some suggestions as to what this might be, I replaced the water pump a few months ago along with the thermostat and their are no leaks. This is a new one for me, Im confused.
Thanx, Ben

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Overheating while the car is not moving...and temp is OK when the car IS moving suggests that not enough air is moving thru the radiator...are the fins clogged with bugs & stuff???...is the fan working properly???...check these then check the archives in this forum...LOTS of information on overheating...Good Luck... :eek:)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hey Ben, it does kinda sound like it's time for a fan clutch...take this advice...don't buy one at a chain parts store, I bought one from autozone, and it's worse than the original equipment I had (which was 20 years old) shell out an extra few bones and go to the dealer....

btw, a good way to check to see if there's a blockage, or malfunctioning fan clutch, warm the car up, pop the hood, and rev the engine from underneath the hood, mine was so bad, I felt no air coming from the fan/radiator....

good luck

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
You probably have a bad fan clutch. They only last about three years then they are junk. Get one with a lifetime warranty and keep the receipt. They are somewhere in the neighborhood of $50. Drop me a line if you have any questions. John

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I took the fan clutch off of my car and went with a electric fan set up. I got it from the junk yard for 10 bucks and it has been going strong for a year now. and it free's up alittle horses too. I have mine on a switch in the car. I love it.LaterZ

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have the same prob with my 78 280Z 5-Speed. thermostat would open up right in the middle of the guage, but would climb to 3/4 if I ran the AC and was at a light/traffic...in about 85-90 degree weather. I replaced the thermo with a 160, rodded the radiator, new water pump....and I tested the fan clutch with a newspaper and it shredded it...seemingly good...The fins are clean, on the radiator and the AC condensor...now with the 160 thermo, it opens up a bit before mid way on the guage, and gets to midway when in traffic/light...although now it's cooling down outside, guess I'll have to wait till the next bakersfield summer to do further tests...fan clutch is all I can think of, although it did seem okay...hmmm.
chris

·
Registered
301 Posts
I know this may not work for this kind of car. But i had a Camaro, and when i stopped at stoplights it would over heat, but when i was moving it was fine...same as your car.

The problem was the Thermostat...Becuase at higher RPMs more flow can go through a clogged thermo, but when idleing its difficult....

So it's a cheap repair so do it anyway just in case

just my .02

Matt

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
See the many posts in the archives.

Did you put in a Nissan t/stat? This is a must as well as testing it before install. Many bad t/stats out there; I've gone thru them like peanuts.

Get a new fan clutch. I've had no problems from the one I got from Auto Zone and it looks exactly like the OE one I took off.

Is your A/C condenser leaking and clogged up and not allowing air thru? Take a grden hose and spray from the inside out to the front (w/o damaging anything).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.