ZCar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2008 350z is overheating. The weird thing is it's on an off thing. It overheats out of nowhere then a couple days later it goes back to normal. What's happening is the coolant just stops going to the engine. The overflow tank gets full but just stays stuck there. So I just pop the radiator cap off and fill the engine to get me moving. A couple days of that then the coolant starts flowing through again.
When it was first overheating in mid August I replaced the thermostat before going to Monterey hoping it would fix the problem. But it continued to spit coolant under my hood and overheat so I changed the cap and when I got back changed the fan assembly and fuse after noticing they were burned out.
Now I thought I was done going on a drive and bam needle starts moving again. Took it to the dealer they said it had air In the sysytem and it was good now. Took it home and started overheating again.
So I'm frustrated now someone please help. Or if you have a good mechanic please refer. In Los Angeles/Hollywood willing to go out 20 miles

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
does it overheat at idle for a long period? like in heavy stop and go traffic? or does it overheat when driving on the freeway up to speed?

I'm not sure on a 350, but if it has a fan clutch like the older Z's then it might be going out...

sometimes a faulty radiator cap will not allow the coolant to flow back from the overflow back into the system, but it sounds like you have already replaced that.

a good way to test the thermostat is to take it out and put it into a pot of boiling water... when it reaches the proper temp, the thermostat will open. if not, it's faulty.

how about the water pump? it may be failing also. of course once it does, you will lose all of your coolant and overheat very quickly.

your radiator might be clogged with debris and other crap. check your hoses also. if you have air in your system or its clogged (thus not allowing coolant to flow) your best bet after you have checked all of these is to have the cooling system flushed and refilled. you can do this yourself or take it to a competent mechanic. take it to an old school Ma' & Pop work shop instead of the dealer.

Bon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It overheats on idle. And if I can't pull over i turn on the heater and the needle drops until I can find a spot to pull over. I've popped the hood when the needle is going up and the fans are still spinning. The thing that confuses me though is that it overheats sometimes not everytime I drive. I had a 05 mustang that would overheat only if I turned on the ac but other than that it was fine so I'm not sure if maybe it could be similar to that I haven't paid attention to when exactly it overheats. I will try the thermostat test tomorrow or Tuesday when I have the day off. The hoses aren't leaking but I will check them out. Thank you for the tips. I will keep you posted

1 - 3 of 3 Posts