ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the 5 years that I have owned by z31 I have never seen the temperature guage rise over that "middle point" on the temperature guage. Regardless of the heat outside, RPM, in-motion or not, it never rises past that "middle point" point.

When I turn the air conditioning on however the heat will rise quickly unless the car is being driven at highway speeds (allowing the air to run through the radiator and cool things down).

Is this normal - what about the air condenser/conditioner causes the engine to heat up so quickly? I don't believe my waterpump is going out - I replaced it about 2 years ago.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I had a Mazda 323 that did that, but I never figured out how to fix it because it overheated and cracked the head before I had a chance. I am glad that it had happened though, because I would have never bought my first Z if it didn't. Hopefully you get it figured out.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Made me nervous - I went out and started the car, peaked under the hood now that the viscious thunderstorm has passed to make sure everything was in order.

I could have sworn in the process of all of this when it was at high temperatures I heard a loud noise. It never crossed the critical temperature line however and everything appears to be functioning properly.

The issue still exists unfortunately :(.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would the "a/c fan" not running cause the engine temperatures to rise?

Thanks for all of the good advice!

A lot of z31 owners don't have a/c because it needs charged. Mine is in great shape but I can't use it because of the overheating issue.

I am going to run through AZ-ZBUM's FAQ too - but this situation seemed unique with it only coming on when the air conditioning runs and there is no air getting to the radiator. It happens quickly after a/c is turned on.

·
Registered
880 Posts
yes.. the engine has to work harder to turn the compressor, and doing this creates more heat, also there is alot of heat in the condensor.. which flows to the radiator. the ac fan helps remove this heat.. it has to work.. make sure the fan is coming on. also check your flex fan.. it may be worn out.. but still alive enough to cool while the ac is off.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you red - I would have been very confused trying to discern if it is the problem with it not coming on right away.

Bear with me hear if it sounds like I'm an idiot (when it comes to the a/c condenser I certainly am). Where is this fan located? Right on the a/c condensor, close to it, or elsewhere?

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll starting working down AZ_ZBUM's list and go from there. Thanks for everyones help and thank you red for clarifying about that a/c fan - I would have been confused to no end about that!

Thanks again to everyone for thier advice!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Boy is my face red.

It was the radiator cap.

The spring in the cap had worn out and when the car was idling for a long period of time (regardless of the air conditioning - the air conditioning just sped up the process) the coolant would leak right out of the cap and down along the engine. It is supposed to hold allowing the expanded coolant to overflow into the overflow bottle.

Sorry for the confusion about it being directly a/c related. Thanks so much to everyone that posted. Thanks also to AZ_ZBUM's Overheating FAQ, which told me what I needed to look for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.