ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 71 shredded its fan belt on the freeway about five miles from my house , it was a cool afternoon so i tried limping home, taking sidestreets and leting it cool down every mile or so.... now I am paranoid I did some damage, it seems to be smoking a bit (more) the plugs seem to be running extra lean now, very very white,of course I was in the middle of tunnuing the carbs when this all happened so this could all related, the moral is carry a spare fan belt and a 12mm wrench with you all the time

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: overheat woes</b>

I blew a belt a few years back at 7000rpm while racing a fellow Zer out in the middle of nowhere of course. Luckily he had a spare belt and I had all my tools for the Z with me. 5 min and we were racing again. Until funny enough the circlip that holds his shifter in place fell off at 190kph. That one slowed our racing afternoon pretty fast. We called a friend that had spare parts and waited 45min (we were out in the middle of nowhere remember) for him to arrive and we proceeded to fix the shifter on the gravel shoulder. To say the least we called it a day. Now this where it gets worse. I'm on my way home still about 10km away when slowing for a light my drivers side radius rod snaps lucky for me it snapped right where it touches the frame so I was able to drive it very slowly home. Now it sports new radius rods and urethane bushings.
This should be a lesson for all Z's to keep a few tools and spare parts in the car cause you never know when you or a fellow Zer may need them.

ZR8ED.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, the Moral Is...

don't keep running a hot engine even if it seems okay at the time and you're only a few minutes from home. If you do, you stand a pretty good chance of blowing your head gasket, warping your valves, tearing loose your harmonic balancer and making your piston rings look like a side order from Fat Burger. It costs a whole lot less to tow a car than rebuild its engine.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: Nope, the Moral Is...

well every thing seems hunk dory as they say, head id still good, smoking went away ( too rich) and I now have a spare fan belt in the car
and your right , I should have had it towed,I took a chance and got lucky, of course it took me 2 hours to drive those 5 miles,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.