ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here we go again! 88 Z 2&2 Automatic. The O/D switch on the column has a light. When the O/D function is OUT, the light glows on. When the O/D switch is pressed, the light goes out and the O/D is engaged. That's the way it is supposed to work!
In my case, the light is on when the O/D is disengaged, stays on when I press the button and the O/D does not engage; other times there is no light and the button, when pressed does not engage the O/D. Then there are times when the system works perfectly. It is very frustrating to go on the highway and the O/D does not engage because the manual warns not to drive the car in third at higher speeds for prolonged times. Who has any idea what this could be? One mechanic told me that there is a electronic module in the trunk on the passenger side which is connected to the electronic function of the automatic tranny. Any response to this problem is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
304 Posts
domdogg123 do you have the FSM for an 86? if you do i would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I would be more inclined to suspect a switch or solenoid on the tranny, or the wiring thereto, than the control unit.

·
Registered
430 Posts
That's the way my '87 AT works. I'd check the connector at the box near the spare...check vac to the vac modulator...look at all the wiring to the trans...adjust the TPS...etc....

·
Registered
517 Posts
Check Nissan's 1988 300ZX Service Manual's "AT" section. There's a table chart that trouble shoots OD problems. It's probably a defective OD switch because the switch's embedded LED light isn't always synchronized with the switch's on and off position. Testing the switch requires its removal and a volt meter or ammeter.

·
Registered
304 Posts
domdog i DLed the FSM for the 88. i think that it will be sufficient for what i need it for. i appreciate the link.

cheers
zelotic

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.