ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHEN I GOT MY 300ZX TURBO-GLL (1985), SOMEONE HAD TAKEN THE OVERDRIVE SWITCH OUT. THE HAYNES REPAIR MANUAL SAYS THE 84-85 MODELS CAME WITH EITHER AN OVERDRIVE SWITCH OR A POWER PATTERN SWITCH. HOW CAN I DETERMINE WHICH SWITCH MY Z CAME WITH.

I PUT AN OVERDRIVE SWITCH IN TODAY. THE SWITCH LIGHTS UP ON "ON" AND ON "OFF" BUT ENGINE DOES NOT DOWN SHIFT INTO 3RD GEAR. THE MANUEL SAYS IF THE LIGHT BLINKS, CHECK THE TRANSMISSION. I DO NOT HAVE A BLINK, I HAVE A STEADY LIGHT IN BOTH POSITIONS.

WHEN I TURN MY IGNITION TO "ON", THE OVERDRIVE SWITCH CLICKS. (ENGINE NOT RUNNING)

ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR ME?

BY THE WAY, I HAVE ONLY OWNED THE Z FOR 2 MONTHS AND HAVE NO MAINTENANCE RECORDS.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My guess is maybe the trans was rebuilt or replaced...maybe from a car without the overdrive switch...if there is one...Maxima?

Or they might have removed or bypassed the control box at the spare...if this year had them that is.

With my '87...light is on...OD is off...in 3rd. The click you hear is probably the ignition interlock....starts only in Park or Neutral...with the brake depressed?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.