ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in better brakes, but my car is a street car that will see about 10 track events each year.

Saying that, I am concerned that the Outlaw calipers are more of a race oriented caliper. I want to know if they have the debris shields that the OEM calipers use.

I am considering the 4x4 Toyota route and that will provide proper protection from the elements.

Mike

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Dunno about Outlaw... Check out also the brake options at
http://www.arizonazcar.com/

About backing plate:
Removing it significantly reduces brake rotor temp under track conditions by allowing more airflow as well as radiant heat transfer.

Keeping it keeps water and road debris out of the rotor/pad interface. Probably means you'll need to apply your brakes a bit sooner for drying off when wet. Maybe this will be more of a factor w/o backing plate but probably not a whole lot. Maybe you'll get a bit less life out of the pads/rotors and higher risk of damage from pebbles lodging in the gap.

Biggest factor between street vs race brakes is the pads. Race pads don't grip till they're really hot.

My $.02, anyway, is that it should not be a big deal to leave the backing plates off. It is a decision to make in advance as you gotta have the hub completely apart to get 'em on and off.

Later,
Al

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
won't slide

wouldn't not have full breaks under panic breaking be a good thing in the rain? I had a small run in with a dirt embankment over locking up the tires

·
Registered
567 Posts
Re: won't slide

Sure if you have ABS. But no, not if you don't have full brakes because you got water and dirt on your rotor. Locking up the brakes under any condition would usually be considered driver error.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.