ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the original owner of a 1973 240Z. I has less than 80,000 original miles but I have serious rust problems. I has it repaired twice at 5 years and 10 years of age and gave up when the rust returned at the point where it was last repaired, It has been stored undercover for the last 10 years but the rust has continued. Mechanically it was fine before I stopped driving it. It is silver with dealer a/c, Ciebe Konis, and Michelins. Have snows but after first 5 years I stopped driving it in winter because of rust considerations. Too late though even though it was "rustproofed" by Bondeco!

Has a deal with a restorer but since my daughter broke up with his son this never materialized.

Question: Sell for parts or restore?

Need advice from someone who has made this decision.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>RE: imo restore.</b>

If you love the car, as most of us do, go for it.

I have just purchased a '73 with some minor wheel well rust, but.... passenger side floor pan is wasted and I'm sure there is more once I really get into it.

The problem is, you may never find a perfect one-- (no rust) and at least you know what you've got.

There are floor pans and frame rails available, so it can be repaired, probably better than new.
try: http://users.desupernet.com/cpr/

Consider all pieces of the restoration. Is the rest of the car-- interior, drivetrain, straight body, etc., in good condition?

Have fun

Matt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: imo restore.

There is a 71 240z for sale in Augusta, GA and a used car lot. New paint and no rust or rust damage that I can find. 5spd r180 diff. Needs new motor suspect blown headgasket. Most interior has been replaced new paint aftermarket mirrors looks great I just wish I could get it. $1700 is what they want for it. Sam 75 280z, 81 280zxt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE: 1973 240Z imo restore.

Thanks to Matt and Sam for replying.

I found a welder here in Toronto who says he can restore frames. Will give him a short then restore body myself.

Maybe I'll go all the way and make it into a Targa-style.

Lorne

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.