ZCar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Super excited, my 1973 240z is almost ready to hit the road again - I think.

After owning my Z for many years, I decided to get her painted.
A local painter was recommended, and a year and a half later it's done..
Does anyone remember the original 901 silver? The OEM color on this Z was silver and I wanted to keep it true to its roots.
I'm really glad it's finally finished, but honestly it reminds me of the primer I had before.

Can anyone confirm that this is indeed the correct paint color?
It's hard for me to determine based off of the available images online.
Should I order a swatch of the 901? Maybe one of you own an original silver Z and can help me out.
I would really appreciate some comments/info.

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
Hello everyone! Super excited, my 1973 240z is almost ready to hit the road again - I think.

Does anyone remember the original 901 silver? The OEM color on this Z was silver and I wanted to keep it true to its roots.
I'm really glad it's finally finished, but honestly it reminds me of the primer I had before.

Should I order a swatch of the 901? Maybe one of you own an original silver Z and can help me out.
check with http://www.automotivetouchup.com they have/can make datsun factory paint colors by code and have 901 in stock (just checked)

·
Registered
662 Posts
That color looks right, BUT:
Silvers are difficult and you've taken pictures on a overcast day. No one can tell from pictures posted on a website. Every camera (and phone camera) is different - as is the way colors are rendered on computer monitors, tablets, or phone screens.

The stock Z metallic silver is fairly light and neutral (the color doesn't skew much to green or brown or blue - it's pretty much in the monochrome band (straight "white-to-black"))

Silvers are also notoriously difficult to match - especially metallics. I didn't think the silver we painted Bob's '72 looked like primer though...

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the information.
Hopefully I'll be able to check out the Z in person within the next week.
A good point was made about the overcast photos, I looked carefully at the photos taken in the booth and it looks good from what I can tell.
I'll update this thread with some more photos when I get my hands on her haha.
Thanks again, appreciate your time.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hi Todd, I picked up my 260z last week from the bodyshop. Painted the car 901 silver. It looks alot like yours and I feel the same way. IT LOOKS LIKE PRIMER GRAY. I can barely put the car back together...I cant stand the color.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts

Heres the deal. The paint manufacturers specifically put the specs of temperatures,humidity and wait times between coats amongst the other essentials like reducers only to be used. My painter followed none of these and heres what happens. SHINY GRAY. HIGH HUMIDITY is not the time to paint a car and esp. at night. Im going to court with this if he doesnt refund me my money or repaint my Z.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,167 Posts
Must be hard to show in photos. On my screen looks like a grey with clear coat over the top.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Heres the deal. The paint manufacturers specifically put the specs of temperatures,humidity and wait times between coats amongst the other essentials like reducers only to be used. My painter followed none of these and heres what happens. SHINY GRAY. HIGH HUMIDITY is not the time to paint a car and esp. at night. Im going to court with this if he doesnt refund me my money or repaint my Z. The paint I supplied and if he followed crucial instructions my Z would be mica silver. Not milky gray.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,167 Posts
High humidity can indeed cause clouding in paints. If that's the case, it will indeed need to be sanded and re-shot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts