ZCar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm looking at tackling a restoration project with some friends of mine. We purchased a Series 1 that's all matching but the car was repainted. From a value standpoint, does it make sense to repaint the original color if this was going to be resold?

We figure that it's going to be the more expensive part of the whole project. The new spray is in good enough condition to leave alone.

Thanks - this is my first 240Z. Had a Z32TT and a Z31 which are pretty different from this guy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - it needs a little touch up at the hood and the trunk lid but otherwise looks in good shape.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I disagree. If it isn’t one of the original, official Datsun colors, it’s worth more repainted to one that is. It doesn’t have to be the original factory painted color but it should be one of the offered colors. You’d have to do a full off restore paint inside and out. If a buyer suspects a chrespray they assume it’s been damaged.

Now if you know the color is one of the original colors then a touch up is OK.

Lastly, it’s all a matter of the prospective buyer. If they like the color, any color will do. A collector pays top dollar and would prefer as original as possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks to be a Datsun 510 color but it's definitely not a '71 color (almost a mint green). The original color is silver so I think we'll go back with that as we get into the project a little more.

Now, for any collector, unless the price goes up exponentially by having the original hubcaps then we're sticking with what we have. Those things are insane!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts