ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when and if i do my swap, i am considering doing the following, but im undecided and want some of your guys/gals opinions

-deleting the cruise control completly (ive never used it)

-deleting the ac, everything(works,but needs to be recharged, and again even though i live in nm with the heat ive never had to use it. i always travel with the top down, unless it rains)

-deleting the power steering(i ran it for two months w/o a belt and its not that hard to drive-amazingly, and i was just going to get a pulley,since it came with belts,but still im undecided there)

i was looking at russells vert and noticed that he had deleted these items and that the engine bay looked a lot cleaner, or more roomier.

i want to go for a clean look, but at the same time dont know if its worth the sacrifice, and i dont want everything to be chromed/polished(ive thought about that too, but decided against)

oh and for dress up, im shooting for a chrome/polished plenum,water pipes,throttle bodies, and a few other lil nick nat items.

my theory behind this is, since i dont use the items, i dont really need them, and it will help in future probs-like if the power steering hose was to start leaking-it wouldnt be there to leak. and since the ac doesnt swap anyways, then that would make it just that much easier.

my other option is to just keep it simple and as stock appearing as possible, while keeping the accessories

thanks guys

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
1) I removed my cruise control cause I never used it, it stopped working anyways, and was causing vacuum leaks.

2) A/C systems are heavy. removing it will probably take 150 lbs total off the car. I also rarely use mine (because my vents don't work) but there is one very very good reason to keep A/C... Fogged windows. Every now and then it rains, or its cool outside and with the windows open the windshield can fog up. I remember last winter I had the A/C belt off for a bit (squeaky compressor bearing) and it actually rained here. Without working defroster I was driving around with a towel all hunched up as close to the window as I could get to wipe the fog off it every few seconds.

3) Power steering is one of those things I could live without. I took my belt off a for awhile to see how it was. I liked it much better when the car was up to speed but hated parking in tight spaces without it. I think I'm going to put an electronic clutch on the P/S pump pulley so that it disengages and just spins freely after 15 MPH. I may have to install some sort of lowpass filter from the speed sensor to activate the clutch below 15MPH, I haven't quite figured it out yet.

I guess ultimately its your car, so you should do to it what you want. If it were me, I'd definitely remove the cruise control and probably the A/C as well and just make due. Power steering is a luxury, but one that makes driving so much easier through a parking lot. I think I'd keep that.

Post Edited (Jan 19, 12:54am)

·
Registered
14,442 Posts
i seriously doubt that Russel drives his car much.and i would hate to try to drive a Z32 on a really wicked road like the Tail of the Dragon without power assisted steering.

if you dont plan on driving your car much,rip it all out.but if thats the case,why are you planning to do the swap?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I'm coming to the end of my swap. I've eliminated the entire AC as I never used before my swap so no point in keeping it. Makes great weight reduction for something thats really just a waste for me.

I put cruise control back on for my swap. It isn't really in the way under the hood and its not a weight issue at all.

Power steering is really nice, I won't be getting rid of that.

It all just comes down to your own personal choice. If you don't use, need or want, then why have it. All those could be put back on at a later time if you want it back anyways so it isn't like you have to really decide and be stuck with it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Using the Z31 as my basis, taking out just the a/c by itself is not going to save you that much weight. I took everything related to the a/c out that was under the hood of my previous Z31 and it only saved me just under 50 lbs. Although, once I removed the bracket that held the compressor, the engine bay really opened up on the driver's side. Space was the main reason I did it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.