ZCar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here, had my 78 280z for a couple weeks doing troubleshooting getting stuff figured out

On Friday it was running on all 6 cylinders, a little rich so prob an injector issue. Last couple days I've been gutting the interior and moving wires around, and today it started up and ran suuuper rough out of nowhere. Everything's plugged back in but only injectors #6 and sometimes #5 operate, the rest are dead. I pulled off the fuel rail a couple inches to confirm and yep, only #6 squirting. Tested each injector and they all click when hit with 12v power. No issue with spark, compression, or fuel pump.

So is this a wiring issue or did something in the ECU F up in the last 2 days? Very much lost as to where to troubleshoot. None of the other posts seemed to address my issue but if I missed one then hit me with the link.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Do you have a test light/volt meter? Have you checked if you have 12v to each of the injectors? You have to unplug all the injectors at the same time and check each one individually. You may have plugged the injectors with crud so they may be firing but there will be no flow when they fire. You can also use a Noid light to check to see if each injector is getting the signal to fire. The way they fire is all 6 fire at the same time (gang fire). There is always 12v to the injectors with the key on and the ECU grounds all the injectors at the same time to fire them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found the culprit: 1 of the dropping resistors got unplugged, the one with 4 injectors going to it. Should've started by checking wiring/connections before taking everything apart.

Dumdum of the week right here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.