ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Hi folks,

I wanted to share this information in the hopes that it might help somebody. I recently purchased a new set of wheels for my 77 Z and of course I asked the question, “What are the widest wheels and tires I can put on a stock Z?”

I think the answer was in the wheels I took off of it. The previous owner said he selected the wheels, not for their looks, but because they allowed him to mount 225/50-15 tires all the way around with no clearance issues and he was correct. I have thrashed that car from left to right and driven up driveways at an angle compressing the front left and rear right wheel and tire without a squeak or so much as a rub.

The wheels measure 15X7 with a 10mm offset. These fit my 77 perfect with 225/50-15 tires and no rubbing.

I recently purchased a new set of Rota wheels. My options in the 15X7 inch wheel were limited to a choice of a 4mm offset or a 12mm offset. Since the wheels with the 10mm offset I took off fit perfectly, I had the options of going 2mm more inside towards the car using the 12mm offset or to go 6mm outwards using the 4mm offset wheels. The 10 mm wheels fit perfectly but the fronts were really close to the strut spring perch. I was worried that 2mm more inward would cause rubbing so I went with the 4mm offset wheel. This brought it out 6mm from the previous wheel. I think I will have to roll the rear fenders as it sits.

If I had to do it again, I might consider the 12mm offset wheels and, if it indeed did rub, just use a spacer on the front or maybe take a little grinder to the spring perch. There was plenty of room on the rears and the 2mm inward would not present a problem.

The new wheels and tires are out more and look more aggressive with the wider stance. Unfortunately, at this time, it is snowing here so I will have to wait a while to see if there is any contact with the new wheels and tires. I’ll let you know. I hope this helps.

Also, if anyone has a wheel and tire combination they too have had a good fortune with, please feel free to follow up here. Best to all.

John

·
Registered
152 Posts
Re: 15X7 10mm wheel 225/50-15 tire One of the widest wheel and tire combinations.

can we see some pics thanx

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: 15X7 10mm wheel 225/50-15 tire One of the widest wheel and tire combinations.

What suspension setup are you using? Stock?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

fivestarsi5,

I believe the previous owner lowered it between two and three inches. Most likely two. I know he had to go with the bumpsteer spacers as well as adjustable bushings.

This is the current version of the wheels.

This is just playing around with the one new wheel and tire.

·
Super Moderator
6,412 Posts

I sure hope my laptop doesn't fry out from all the drooling on the keyboard!
I really like the wheels and the car is amazing. Thanks for sharing the info and the pics.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Beautiful 280z. The tires look just as good as the new wheels do!! Cant wait for more pictures.

·
Premium Member
5,065 Posts

A guy gave me a 6 spoke 14x6 zx rim and it has 225 60 14. It was wearing funny along the middle. Keep us updated on tire wear as well. Nice post

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The recommended rim size for a 225/50 tire is a 7 inch rim. I don't know if that changes for a 60 series tire. That six inch rim might be causing it be pinched such that it bulges at the center of the tread. You might have to go to a smaller tire (or a wider rim). Also, I was looking at this picture and thought it was a good pic to show how well the tires are tucked under the fenders.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts

Who cares about the wheels I want that Hood!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts

I have the same size tire on old 4 lug Z31 rims with 34 mm spacers. I'm getting fender flares this Spring so I dont think I will have any clearance issues. I have yet to mount them.

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts

225/50-15 on 15x7 zero offset wheels on my 240Z. One of the rears rubs a little at near full suspension travel, but not a big deal. +4mm offset shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts

I went with them because I knew I was cutting out my original wheel wells. The Old New England rust monster got to them. I would rather spend the money on flares and cut the rot out instead of fixing it. My only issue with the adapters is finding the right lug for them. They came with the adapter to original car stud lugs but I need special ones for the adapters to rims. IIRC the Datsun lugs were 1.25 and these are 1.5...

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Dan Baldwin,

Just curious, did you do anything to the fenders, like roll them or grind down the lip? Also, is your 240 lowered any? Thanks.

John

·
Registered
26 Posts

heroe said:
A guy gave me a 6 spoke 14x6 zx rim and it has 225 60 14. It was wearing funny along the middle. Keep us updated on tire wear as well. Nice post
Sounds like a little overinflation there pal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.