ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got 1 leak fixed ( 4 hrs to get to the (&^**_)*&((*&_&*)) hose clamp.. pressurized up the car again... silent.. then pppppiiiiiiissssssssssttttttttt.

The lower turbo hose is now leaking on the pass side... ARRGGGHHHHHH!

How bad is it driving ot this way? Just cruzing... not rompin.

Mike

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
I would fix it just for the sake of it...

Its like beating on a sick kid if you don't...

but to answer more conscisely... if you don't step on it to generate boost... it should be driveable

·
Premium Member
9,535 Posts
4 hours for a hose clamp? I can have my engine out in less than 2.

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sal I full intend to fix it.. just having the right tools to get to the clamos ( in weird positions ).

Z addict.. just takin my time to not F anything up!

Mike

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
How much pressure are you using when doing the boost leak test?

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5~7 psi
I did 5 last time.. and got it quiet.. this time I went to 7
(since that's the MAX BOOST I can currently make).

Mike

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
remember some parts of your system were never intended to hold boost... that will keep on happening. 2 or 3 psi should do the trick.

anything before the turbos is not pressure ready

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right.. but I cannot inject air, post turbo without pulling 1/2 the car apart.. **** it took me 4 hrs to get to 1 mis positioned clamp! Pre turbo is not an issue it's all POST that I'm getting twisted about!!

Mike

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
If all the clamps were tight then 5psi would not be an issue. My guess is you had a loose clamp and a hose has poped off.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
a popped out hose wont hiss... =P it would've been more like POP! and then silent...

my advice would be to pressurize the plenum itself through the balance tube... then you could hear all the vac lines that are most likely to create boost/vac leaks

·
Premium Member
9,534 Posts
JT i realize there are parts of the system not under boost and that never see boost. but i was talking to a bud of mine on base a while back who is a huge DSM guy, and one of the local DSM tuners in the area told him to boostleak the pressure you intend to run and that it shouldnt hurt it at all. I tried to tell him that there are portions of hte engine that arent pressurized even during boost but he insisted. What exactly are the reasons?

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No hose has popped off..and yesterdays work helped a little I can now make 8 lbs of boost!

The current leak is coming off the top of the pass side turbo where you have a short piece of hose and 2 clamps ( within 2 inches of each other ).. the bottom one is leaking air.. If I have my son wiggle the upper hose ( metal ) I can hear the leak ALMOST vanish. Most of the clamps ( so far ) were LOOSE.. like 1 full turn.

I can feel it better at 5 psi then at 3 ( for intital hunting ).

The problem is I have no shot to get to the 5/16 screw on the clamp.. and ALL the clamps are "Ideal" style ( like on the radiator of an american car.. )

If maybe I had a 3 foot 1/4 inch extension and could feed it between the alt & ps pump I MIGHT be able to get to it.. ( and I tried! ). and the top clamp is pointing the other way!

Probably easier to drop the ALT to get in there...

Mike

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Because a boost leak test will pressurize the entire engine and because the PCV system is not in operation there are some areas of the engine that shouldn't be subjected to pressures much above 5psi to 7psi. Some seals have been known to extrude under these conditions.

I think that any area, other then main and cam seals, that show leaks under 5 to 7 psi should be suspect to being bad as a result of either poor hose clamp force or old dry hoses.

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok well I'll throttle back a bit....

I'll give another go this coming weekend where I'll have more tricky tools to get to the clamps in question. When I do the test.. I do leak a little oil out of various places... but the next day.. dry as a bone.. no leaks on driveway...

The cam & crank seals are new ( both front & back on the crank )...
I would think that the seal would so much pop out but air pushing under the seal would blow oil... but I defer to your experience JT...I did drive it a little spirited today.. and she's still holding 8psi.. so were ALMOST there.

In my case ( so far ) there have been all clamp force issues.. the hoses all feel like ~ 60K... not fossilized, the vac lines still have good flex but they are cracking at the bulge/flex point SLIGHTLY.. so when I see that.. out the line comes.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
862 Posts
Pull your battery out, and try from that area.

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The bottom clamp is facing forward I might be able to get to the top clamp via that route!

ARRGGHHHH

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.