Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey-

Heres the deal have a 73 240Z its an awesome car all original(so far) with 80k mi, and weber DGV carbs. The seatbelts just dont seem all that safe. The car will be used in SCCA(solo) plus i tend to exceed the speed limit and safety is key...i am pretty sure that if you switch to 3-5 point harnesses you are supposed to change the seats to racing buckets(???) If so can you tell me of good(low price)seats and a place to find good harnesses. Again the lower the price the better(assuming quality is strong)...the Saab is eating all my money. The Z is getting lonely! Plus as a college student i am not exactly racking in the money. Any website suggestions would also be appreciated. I have used Motorsport for most parts so far. Thanks

Chris C
2000 Saab 9-3
1973 Datsun 240Z

·
Registered
507 Posts
if you switch to 3-5 point harnesses you are supposed to change the seats to racing buckets(???)

That's news to me. I've seen harnesses in Miatas, C5 Vettes, RX-7s, Integras....All with the stock seats. A racing seat will typically have holes in it to route the harness better. A nice thing to have, but definately not required.

I have a Simpson 5 point harness in my 72 with 96 Miata seats.

As for the harness.

If you plan on using this as a belt for normal driving (rather than the occasional use) make sure you get a model with the camlock. The pin method of strapping on the belt takes A LONG TIME to put on.

Expect to pay ~$180 for the harness. I bought mine at the local speed shop. Make sure you talk with the merchant before you buy it as there are ALOT of different mounting/configuration options.

Mine has the following configuration.
1. Bolt in (harnesses can also be clipped in or strapped in)
2. Y shoulder haness (one mounting point for 2 shoulder straps)
3. Pull down adjustability (as opposed to pulling up)
4. Camlock

Since I dont know how you plan to mount this....if you have a roll bar....if you have a strut brace...etc I can't make any more suggestions.....Talk to your local speed shop.

BTW, they'll probably have to order the belt in the config. you want. Plus since belts only have a racing lifetime of 2 years (stamped on the belt) they rarely keep much in stock. Mine took 9 weeks to get in and Simpson is a 45 minute drive from my house.

-Wayne

PS - loose those Webers.....

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Great post but why lose the webbers???

Chris,

I hope Wayne's answered your questions. Nice post Wayne loads of great info.

Sorry for the diversion but why do you say lose the Webers. I'm a newbie to Z's and I was actually thinking of installing them. Why don't you like em?? I'd love to know what you know and I dont.

Thanks buddy,

George

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.