ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i jus go an AE but the seller didnt want to smog it so i said i would, no biggie rite? WRONG! i go to76($44.99 for a smog) to get it smogd. it was about 11 (i had to be to work by 12) they guy says its gonna take about 25-30 mins, ok ill have engough time. so he does it test everything seems kool. he comes to me and says that the timing was at 40 deg when it should be at 20, and bcuz of that it didnt pass! WTF?! he tells me that even if the timing is put in the rite place wont pass and will run like ****. he tells me that for him to set the timing rite it would cost about another 45$ or so in labor, OR i can take it home/to a shop and fix the timing and pay ANOTHER 45$ for a retest OR i could being it back tomorrow and for 85 ($40 tip to him) he will make it pass. so i had to pay the 45 even though it didnt pass. (i was late work bcuz of this) so at 6 when i get home from work i get out my timing light and check the timing for myself, and correct if needs. THE TIMING WAS AT 25! off but only 5 deg NOT 20! wtf can i do? im defentally gonna go back that and bi*tch his ass out about that **** and try to get my money back of something. what do u guys think i should do?

off the subject but one thing did come out good today. i went to a tranny shop so see about a new clutch (770$ intsalled) but then i ask about adjusting it, he gets in the car and pushes on the clutch a few times and says "ya i needs to be adjusted" me "how long and how much will that cost?" him "15-20 mins and no charge, jus bring it by tomorrow and i see what i can do" SOME PEOPLE ARE JUS AWSOME! AND SOME ARNT (76 PEOPLE)

Post Edited (Jul 12, 10:06pm)

·
Registered
984 Posts
I've met people that speak English as a second language that use it better than you do.

However, you did use punctuation (improperly, though), so you get props for that.

P.S. I can predict the future, too. My crystal ball tells me that when you read this post you'll think that I'm not one of those "cool people."

Post Edited (Jul 12, 9:45pm)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont need to kno that i cant spell i already kno that! but thnx. anyone out there have any idea what i can do?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
If you're in California, it's the selling parties legal responsibility to get the car smogged.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scared0o0Rabbit wrote:

> If you're in California, it's the selling parties legal
> responsibility to get the car smogged.

ya i kno, i thot it wasnt gonna be a big deal tho, plus i got the car for a good price. its not mine or the sellers fault tho!

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Thats why I let the seller do the smog. Had a similar problem a long time ago. Luckily I had writen the contract saying that if it didn't pass smog I would return the car and get my money back, which I ended up doing. In your case I would set the timing properly and make sure everything else is in order and go back to talk to the guy. First try to be cool and play nice. If he turn into a dick still try and keep cool. If all else fails turn into a dick, which at this point you probably won't be able to control yourself, and then report his ass. Mean while you'll probably have to pay for another smog at another station. Hopefully when you talk to the guy you'll be able to come to an agreement but I doubt it. If you don't want to through the hassel of reporting him just shrug the 45 and try a different shop. It sucks but some of these smog shops try and rip people off becuase they know we are at their mercy.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I would take the car somewhere else. I dont think these cars would even run at 40 degrees advance. You should try and get your money back but if they are acting real lame about it just drop it and go somewhere else. Take the car home set your timing to factory specs and if your in california(well certain parts of cali) be sure your NOX equiment it present and working correctly.

·
Premium Member
41,005 Posts
Gotta Love it...

Guys refuse to follow the LAWS in place to PROTECT THE IDIOTS AMONGST US, and then BEYOTCH when they get bent over due toTHEIR OWN IGNORANCE...
None of this needed to happen, yet it did.

Know whose fault it was?

I do...

BTW, there is no clutch adjustment on any Z after 1971...

Oh, waitaminit, I clicked the wrong forum. Now it all makes sense...

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Maybe you should get the offer on tape and then ask the tech what he can do to help you ;)
BTW, far be it from me to address this after the above poster who obviously should have been allowed the final word but the clutch pedal height and free play are indeed adjustable which may be what the second tech was referring to when he offered to adjust the clutch. Whether that will solve your problem is another thing.

Hey, how about those republicans? Revealing the names of covert CIA agents and prancing gay hookers through the halls of the west wing.
Dang, it's good to have dignity restored to the White House ;)

·
Registered
958 Posts
I could very well be wrong about this, but I'm fairly sure its illegal to tape someone discreetly unless you tell them they are being taped. But then again, whats with ppl wearing wires. I'm probably wrong but it might not be bad to look into it first be4 trying it. It seems kind of desperate, but if the guys being an ass...

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Sorry dude, I don't know the "tongue in cheek" symbol ... hence the wink thing.
If I had been seriously suggesting the poster tape the offer and he followed through then I doubt the tech would call the cops and complain about it ;)
What I'd really do is find out why the car didn't pass and then fix it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the ONLY thing that made it fail was the timing, everything else was not above the max but a little bit high.

here are the numbers:
|%CO2| |%o2| | HC (ppm) || Co (%) | | N0(ppm)
test rpm meas meas max ave meas max ave meas max ave meas
15 mph 1638 14.6 0.5 113 41 71 0.82 0.13 0.38 1125 339 1111
25 mph 2595 14.7 0.1 108 29 21 0.62 0.11 0.07 995 332 321

ignition timing: 40 BTDC FAIL

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
freewill wrote:

> There's an ignition timing standard in your area? Can you post
> a scan of the document you received?

i would but my scanner isnt working rite now! ill try to get it scanned and post it on here tomorrow

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Don't go to any extra trouble. I'm just amazed that your car could be failed due to ignition timing its own self, not for what kind of effect it might or might not have on exhaust emissions. Texas has pretty stringent testing here in Houston and also in Dallas I believe, including ASM-2 testing as well as other emissions and safety checks... but nobody takes a timing gun to your car.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
dont be surprised. I live n the area he does and the guy failed me cuz he saw a vacuum tube that came loose from my HEATER VALVE

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i was thinking about it, would my car even run if it was at 40 deg? and if it did wouldnt it run really rough?

i went to the smog place and told that guy that the timing was where is was supposto to be, he told me that he could retest it and i would have to pay again. all he said was "i dunno u could have changed the timing urself and brought it back" i told him he never showed me the timing when he did the test so how do i kno that i was really off, he pretty much jus walkd away.

gonna scan the results tomorrow and post it. and this weekend im going to the smog place everyone i kno has gone to and they have had no prolbems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.