ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a '72 240 which contains a factory L24. This car has not run in 16 years. I let the pistons soak in Rislone (poured into the spark plug hole) and installed a new set of hitachi carbs. I have spark and gas, but she will not fire. The carbs pop when turning over which I have heard indicates sticky valves. Any ideas on what I might try next? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Thanks,
gl...

· Registered
685 Posts
gl, if the timing is set right she shouod fire make sure its not 180deg out . If all is right go to the carbs and screw the jet adjustment all the way up and then back it down two full turns , do this on both carbs and she should start. The poping could be from a lean mixture of fuel, that is if the timing is right. Good luck, Gary Portland Or.

· Registered
61 Posts
This is what I would try:

I would take the spark plugs out and crank the engine for a while to get things moving again. (The Rislone was a good idea) It would also be a good idea to remove the valve cover and make sure the valve train and cam is well lubed, too. Just crank the engine till everthing is well coated. Then, put the pugs back the cam cover on and start playing with the carbs. Make sure you know how to set the fast idle screws and mixture adjustment knob on the bottom. Keep us posted on your progress.

· Registered
320 Posts
hello does your z have the points distibuter??? check the points chances are after that long a time sitting its gonna need new points not going to start with out the points being ok..and if it does start it will run like crap....the points get corroded file them abit and try that,,,,good luck michele

· Registered
3,319 Posts
Double check the firing order on the spark plugs. 153624 COUNTERCLOCKWISE on the dizzy. Set timing at around 5 degrees advance. That popping and backfiring is usually caused by the one of the above, or very lean mix (make sure the carbs have oil in them) or you may need to check the cam timing. Hopefully it is one of the first things, and that the car wasn't sidelined due to bad cam timing. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.