ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aiight, ym friend is willing to part with 2 sets of MB Quart componets for 300bucks. 5.25" mains, 4" mids, and 1" tweeters. With crossovers. Thats 6 MB Quart speakers and 2 crossovers for 300 bucks. Anyways, where is a good ideal place to put these? I'd like to know so I can get em and have some phat speakers lol

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm not sure what the doors look like on a 300zx but if it was me i would put the 6" right down in the corner of the door with the with the tweeter just above it. And the fours....... i dunno... If there is enough room put the fours and tweeters in the kick panels pointing towards the dome light. If the 300zx is anything like my right hand drive zed then you have pedals in the way. Mabye you should flog off the three-ways and buy a high quality set of two-ways. What do you need a four inch speaker for anyway?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dude I have an 82...thats why I posted here. Anyways, it's MB Quart 3 way componets...ditch em and get two way?!? Do you even know what MB Quarts sound like? They are THE highest quality speaker you can get for your car, and 50% of the people who win audio shows use MB Quart. Anyways, the 4" is for mids. With just a basic stereo you might not need that, but I plan on having a pretty decent one considering the bad a$$ one I had in my 300ZX. Anyways, was just looking for quick input.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I feel your pain Matt, I have a 76' and the 3-way Quart set, only with the 6" sub instead of the 5 1/2". What I am in the process of doing is modifying the door panel with a custon pod to hold the set. I have the unfortunate luxory of having manual windows and therefore am also adding power windows to allow for the pod space I need to extend into the area where the hand crank is now. If you are handu with MDF and not afraid to be creative, then this could be a good solution. If you custom build the pod you can get the angles you want for mount positions and ultimate sound quality. Ideally, you want to keep the set as close as you can to one another, but you also need the tweet as high as you can get the full clarity out of the set. I'm not sure of the 82' door layout but I do know that with a little extra effort, the Quart set will will blow your mind with clarity and function that is well worth the original $600 tag, A steal at $300.

P.S. I would love to see what you end up doing in the end, email me offline if I can help further...
Jeremy
[email protected]

·
Registered
248 Posts
Man you should have said you have an 82. How was i to know? I thought you were lost. I know what MB Quarts are, i know they sound good, they aren't THE highest quality speaker, i know the 4" is for mids, i do have a clue. But just because they are three way doesn't mean they are better. Some of the best quality systems have five speakers. Two tweeters/horns, two mids 6 or 8" depends on the horn, and one sub. A wise man once said, it is one thing turning a cow into a hamburger, but it is different turning a hamburger back into the cow. Is a set of four way 6x9s going to sound as good as a set of similar priced two way 6x9s?
If it was me, i would put the 4" and tweeters in the kick panels, and trade the 5s in on a pair of 6s because they will have better midbass response. And put the in the door. Otherwise just stick the 5s in the door. If you really want a kickass system, go to your local install shop and tell them you want custom kick panels and door pods, and a custom boot install for your pair of 12s? 15s mabye? Add two big amps and start entering a few shows to see how it does against others. Should do well. Good luck.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'd rather listen too my car...

going from 5000 to 6000 in 2nd, yes, that is nice...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.