ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I have done a search for this but i couldn't find any clear answers. So here we go...I want to know what is involved in a 280zx engine(no turbo) to a turbo engine. I have a parts car that is compleate she hasn't run for sometime, the prev. owner sayed that it ran. anyway. if there is a website that has some of this info just let me know. but what kinda work are we talkin' about here

· Registered
123 Posts
Re: OK I know has been asked b4 but just give me a

low compression pistons, a bunch of different sensors, a couple air intake tubes, a different exhaust manifold set-up, I'm pretty sure a different air flow meter, I think the intake is a little different, different injectors....... and I am probably missing a bunch of stuff oh yeah and the whole ecu unit. But I think you can probably just get an aftermarket turbo and change a bunch of stuff. Personally I don't know too much about turbo systems, so I just bought a l28et and am currently rebuilding it. I figure if I have a complete base and get it running fine I can work my way up from there. Besides I'd rather not fool around with an engine that is N/A.

· Registered
824 Posts

Depending on the year you will need to change out the wiring harness that connects all the components under the hood. Tranny, flywheel, drivline, rear end, maybe the steering rack. You will also need to swap the ECU and probably several other items that I have missed. I started to attempt this swap by putting a 83 turbo setup into a 79. When I relized all the hours it would have taken I changed my mind. The 79 was super low miles and clean anyway so that made it easier.
There is a web site that covers the steps involved but I can not find it.
Hope this is helpful.
zbyter

· Registered
2,404 Posts

Some people on this forum say you can run a turbo on a NA--ECU & wirying.
The biggest difference I have heard is lack of knock senser.
If you have a turbo parts car, I would get it running in the parts car to see if it is good enough to bother with, and swap moter- AFM-TB, if you stay at stock boost, 7lb. max, I don't feel you need knock senser.
If you are planning to gust use AFM--TB--Turbo with intake manafold & T-injectors on your NA moter, with stock boost, listen very close for knock if there, could try retarding spark a bit, and try again, if still knocks be very carfel with driving so you don't boost enough to knock, or adjust doost limmiter [ if possable ] to less boost.
I not happy with the above, you can rewire with T wirying, and hope for the best.
Just my .02

Lee

· Registered
3,319 Posts
Check this book...

Check out the book "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell, ISBN 0837601606 It might help you design a system for your normally n/a engine. As always the easiest sytem on a Z is to install a turbo engine, trans, and complete f/i harness w/control unit out of a functioning turbo car. ANY engine can be turbo'd but it depends on how much you have to spend to get it done and done right.

· Registered
74 Posts

I suggest buying Corky Bells (of Bell Engineering) book on turbocharging.
excellent book. The guy is a mechanical engineer and has major experience in this area. His book isn't srticlty on how to turbo charge a Z but he goes through some theory and gets you to understand the purpose of a trubo. Covers selecting a turbo based on realistic power sought after, sizing up an intercooler, talks about blow off valves. Mainly all the critical areas. Also goes through a step by step turbo installation in a Miata. Haven't finished reading the entire book but it was money well spent ($30 range after shipping).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.