ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been here somewhere, but getting blurry eyed looking...I've got about four spots on my t-top ranging from 1/2" to 2" long that I sanded down, steel wooled, and put that so-called rust eater/primer on it JUST to hold it until I could really do the necessity to it...well, guess that wasn't enough, because after a week and a half it's starting to rust thru that "primer" (think its turtle wax or stp)...I need to know what to do to those spots exactly until I can get to the point of having them repainted...there are no holes, but some pitting...

Thanks,

·
Registered
881 Posts
Rustoleum or POR15

are your best bets. Sanding and getting it to where it easily accepts a magnet are the best remedys. I'd removed the primer, get a couple cans of Rustoleum rust primer and the zinc based rust stuff (i swear that stuff if the shiznit!) Sand it down, check it with a magnet, then prime. Once its dried take a 500 grit and sand again, then prime again, then sand on 800, then prime, then sand on 1000 then prime then sand weton 2000 for good buff and leave like that. that should be a good satiny smooth priming job that if done properly will seall VERY well for rust prevention. Most primers are not solid and form pores when sprayed. Thats why a technique like above will allow you a good base coat for primer (for repaint) and make sure its not pourous anymore! ;)

·
Registered
996 Posts
Most primers are not waterproof. They are intended to form a bond between existing paints and a new top coat (that is waterproof). If you top coat clean fresh primer with a coat or two of enamel or lacquer ( I like lacquer because its easy to remove), you should be good for the winter.
You may have to resand, reprime, the top coat to hold off the rust.
Dan

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Rustoleum or POR15

OK, sounds good. This is a spray on, right? Now, this will tide me over until I can actually build up the surface with bondo or something? I'm just making sure. Thanks for your patience.

Art

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it. So I follow the previous chaps suggestion and cap it off with a lacquer...I suppose this is a neutral tone, colored or clear? Forgive my ignorance...I want to do it right until I can AFFORD the painting.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Easy instructions:

Grind / Steel Brush / Sand to clean metal

Clean off area with Wax and Grease Remover, you can even use lacquer thinner if you want, but be sure to wipe it clean and wipe off with clean rag.

Spray primer, make sure it is a fill primer even if it's the rattle can stuff. Lay a thin coat first, let it flash, spray a second coat laying it down thicker, flash again and wait a few minutes, then hit one more time with primer. This gives you a good sandable surface. Wait long enough to let the primer completely cure, if you have a garage and some type of heat lamp, or the garage is about 70 degrees or so, you might be able to work on it in a 3-4 hours. The key is to let the solvent evaporate out of the primer.

Wet sand (preferable) or at least scuff off the top "skin" of primer. Sand as smooth as you want using 400 grit wet / dry sandpaper, or if you are just going to top coat to protect, then just use a scotch pad and scuff off the skin of the primer. If you were doing finish type work, you might use "Red Cap" a thickened primer that is pressed onto the surface with a rubber surface. That stuff should be sanded with 220 grit, and followed with a coat of primer to give the best result.

Top coat, use any kind of paint that's compatible with your primer, i.e. don't use krylon primer and follow it up with some other company paint. Check what the primer and paint are made with, typically don't mix ketone based paints on top of non-ketone and vice versa. Usually you can use a Rust-O-Leum primer and top off with a Rust-O-Leum paint.

Once you are ready to get it painted, point out the spots to your paint man and let him know what you used there.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
sandblast and etch with

metal prep. check the backside of the metal it may
have surface rust on it. if i had a plasma torch ide make mine swiss
cheese in a minute. remove every speck of that crap in a heartbeat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.