ZCar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a '80 280zx and just got the dash installed back into the vehicle. The first issue I have encountered is that I don't know where the oil, volt, clock cluster plugs in, or what the connections on the harness look like. I have a feeling that the part of the harness where the connectors used to be has been modified and the connectors themselves removed so I'm looking at wires without ends and just don't know what is going on. If anybody could point me to where the connectors should be or what I should be looking for to get this connected I would really appreciate it.

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,459 Posts
Hi Ben, did you download the service manual from Xenoncar or Nicoclub? That may help in terms of giving you wiring colors and terminations.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Rectangle Schematic Font Parallel Pattern

Wire colors:
Br - Brown
R - Red
W - White
G - Green
B - Black
Y - Yellow
L - Blue
Where you see 2 capital letters together, the first is the main wire color and the second is color of the trace/stripe. You may need to clean the wires to identify colors.
I think some if not all connectors were made Yazaki. Those can be a challenge to find. If not Yazaki, the connector may be AMP, though I'm not sure if there was an AMP 10 pin connector.
Are the pins still on the wires?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Ben, did you download the service manual from Xenoncar or Nicoclub? That may help in terms of giving you wiring colors and terminations.
I have not, I just got the car a couple months ago, so trying to learn as I go. I don't know either of those sources, do you possibly have a link?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
View attachment 111415
Wire colors:
Br - Brown
R - Red
W - White
G - Green
B - Black
Y - Yellow
L - Blue
Where you see 2 capital letters together, the first is the main wire color and the second is color of the trace/stripe. You may need to clean the wires to identify colors.
I think some if not all connectors were made Yazaki. Those can be a challenge to find. If not Yazaki, the connector may be AMP, though I'm not sure if there was an AMP 10 pin connector.
Are the pins still on the wires?
I'm going to get back to you on this one, honestly it is starting to sound like I may have a bigger issue. I don't remember seeing anything that looked like a pin connection and thought I was looking for two individual wires with some sort of connector on them. I am currently at work, so once I get home I will need to do some investigating.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
It looks like the connector goes on the pins on the right side of this photo. That would be behind the clock.
Wood Rectangle Automotive design Automotive exterior Fashion accessory

And those pins don't look like Yazaki or AMP. There should be female pins in the dash harness.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I finally found a picture with the connector attached.
Sleeve Electronic instrument Musical instrument accessory Beer Wrist

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm working on a '80 280zx and just got the dash installed back into the vehicle. The first issue I have encountered is that I don't know where the oil, volt, clock cluster plugs in, or what the connections on the harness look like. I have a feeling that the part of the harness where the connectors used to be has been modified and the connectors themselves removed so I'm looking at wires without ends and just don't know what is going on. If anybody could point me to where the connectors should be or what I should be looking for to get this connected I would really appreciate it.
Ben,
Maybe these photos will help. The connector that plugs into the gauge cluster is on the dash harness. If the connector is missing then you need to hunt down the wire of the color codes going to the connector. If you need the connector I have several. You can reach me at [email protected].

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I apologize for the delayed response, I got started and decided I could get the fuel tank cleaned and put back in while I was at it. Turns out I did have it plugged in after all, however two of those other wires that connect the gauges themselves to the boards on the back are disconnected. I appreciate all the help, this is my first car project so I apologize for my own stupidity.

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,459 Posts
I apologize for the delayed response, I got started and decided I could get the fuel tank cleaned and put back in while I was at it. Turns out I did have it plugged in after all, however two of those other wires that connect the gauges themselves to the boards on the back are disconnected. I appreciate all the help, this is my first car project so I apologize for my own stupidity.
No need to apologize. We've all been through troubleshooting for "the first time" and in the process learn about the assumptions we made which were incorrect. It's called "Experiential Learning."

What's less common is your coming back and letting us know what happened. Too many of these threads and when the OP solves the problem and abandons the thread instead of sharing what he/she learned. Thanks for the post!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts