ZCar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 1982 280zx turbo I bought a couple months ago. Guy said it was locked up and I bought it that way hoping it was just rusted as it had sat for a long time. Anyways I’ve been trying to bust it loose since I’ve had it but today I looked down at the crank from the top of the timing chain hole and saw this. It looks to me like the oil pump drive gear came out of place and is what has caused this engine to lock up. And I’m not 100% trying to rebuild the entire engine unless I have to but what would cause this and how would I go about fixing this? And I assume this is why it won’t turn? Also picture isn’t the greatest but it is in there an an angle and is not straight at all

Attachments

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
tight side guide does not look right, you may as well remove the front cover as a minimum to investigate. remove the oil pump and dizzy drive shaft 1st of course. Maybe the camshaft is just rotated in a way to make the tight side loose. Anyway at a minimum I would pull the front cover off just to make sure all is ok, put some new TC parts in there and reseal with nissan OE gaskets.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Somehow, I think the brass helical drive gear is small potatoes compared to what would seem to be a disturbing amount of scrap steel down there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tight side guide does not look right, you may as well remove the front cover as a minimum to investigate. remove the oil pump and dizzy drive shaft 1st of course. Maybe the camshaft is just rotated in a way to make the tight side loose. Anyway at a minimum I would pull the front cover off just to make sure all is ok, put some new TC parts in there and reseal with nissan OE gaskets.
Ok will do thanks a lot!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts