ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the oil changed & the pressure now goes above 90 after 10 mins of warm up at 3000 RPM then idles at 30. They said they put Chevron 10w30 but it sure seems thick. Any way to tell or can I mix a different weight safely. They now pump it out of a barrell so you never can know. Thanks
P.S. It wasn't Jiffy Lube :(

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Its normal. No worries. If you're that concerned, get a new oil pressure sender. Otherwise, everyone else's does the same thing....

·
Registered
525 Posts
I don't think 90 after 10 minutes is normal at all. You are right to be concerned. Too much oil pressure can be as damaging as too little. The Nissan spec is 55+ when fully warm and at highway speed, as I recall, and I see about 60-65 psi on cold startup on a 90NA with 170,000 miles. Warm and at speed - 55-60. 10-40 Castrol winter, 10-30 summer

Take a look at the sender and its connector - it's very easy to disturb the oil pressure sender leads when replacing the filter. "The wrong barrel" ? -well, the quick lubes are capable of anything.

MaxDoc just stated earlier today 1/31 that 15-20 at hot idle is tolerable. I would like to say my 90 always shows 30 psi with a hot idle in warm weather, but it is more like 20. 750-800 rpm.

And then beyond all the above, no one trusts the oem gauges to be that accurate anyway. One would need to hook up an external gauge to get a true reading.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Well, I can sit at idle, and be at less than 30, on my OEM gauge, and my autometer... revv it up, and get them both up around 90. From what I understand, as long as the oil is the correct level, you're fine. But... to quote JT240Z.. What do I know.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
if not the sender, then maybe pcv system clogged? Mine is at 20-25 when at idle @normal op. temp.

right at 60 when idling on cold engine. drops after about 3-4 minutes at 3Krpms

Post Edited (Jan 31, 11:25pm)

·
Registered
106 Posts
install a new oil sending unit - i just did and the readings are totally different than they were before....about 90 psi when really cold and then 30 at idle and 60 when up to highway speeds. before the install it was all over the place...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.