Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1970 240 with stock 2.4 L.
I'm sure this has been discussed, but please humor me. I have a problem with oil pick up when hot. After a hot start up, the engine emits a noticable main bearing knock for three seconds, but takes as long as twenty to show any oil pressure. At idle, hot, the guage reads about 1/8" to the right of the "zero" mark. At 2500 rpm hot, the guage is well over half. The engine exhibits NO noise when cold, even after sitting for days. Engine is VERY fresh, and every clearance was measured with a dial bore guage or plastiguaged. It has a high volume oil pump with the race springs installed. Could the oil pressure relief valve in the block oil filter boss cause this? Any thoughts? Thanx.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Hi R.L.Merritt
Your answer is YES. A weak ( original) oil pressure relief valve spring at the oil filter could be the problem. Also, in spite of your hints of a decent engine I suspect that oil is getting past your engines rings. Therefore, ie..., your problem. Do a compression test followed by a 'leak down' test, these will indicate your rings and current valves condition. Oh..... you should adjust your valves as this problem will occur with exhaust valves too tight and even a stuck crankcase ventilation filter not working properly.... your PCV. Have fun. Goodluck. shane-

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.