ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oil pressure is running about 30 psi when the engine is at operating temperature at speed, and about 25 when at idle. It sounds fine when it's cold but will tick just a little after it gets warm.

I'm thinking the oil pressure is too low but I'm not sure why. The engine only has 57k on it and runs fine. No dents in the oil pan.

Can the oil pressure relief valve cause low oil pressure? I'm currently running dino oil but I'll be switching to synthetic shortly.

I'm looking for suggestions... I really don't want to damage the engine... The Lord only knows I've spent enough money on this car.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
30 PSI at "Speed" ???

What rpm range are you talking about? 25 or so at idle is ok but you should be in the 40+ range around 2-2500k.
MaxDoc

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The psi never goes above 30 reagardless of rpm once it reaches operating temperature.

I did check out the posts below and a few dozen others from doing a seach but I never find out if the oil pressure relief valve can cause low oil pressure.

I'm hoping the synthetic will make a difference. Any thoughts on an engine flush or oil additives? I can 't believe the oil pump is bad.

My Z has been in and out of shops for the last three months. (It's a terrible tale of woe and lost fortunes) The engine in the car now is a replacement from a 95 model that just last week was installed. The engine runs great and only has 57k on it. The 95 engine did have a damaged oil pan so we had to swap the one off the 92. Anyone know of a difference there that could cause a problem? They looked the same to me.

We did the 60k service, replaced the wiring harness, hoses, belts and various vacuum lines. It runs great and I really need to drive it, but this oil pressure thing needs to be fixed. Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Best bet is.......

since the variance is so slim between idle and upper RPM is the oil pressure sending unit. They are well known to cash in.
MaxDoc

·
Registered
602 Posts
mine only reads 30 at all times too and i know its the sending unit cuz if you wiggle and play with it itll make the needle bounce .....on that note my temp gauge does it too :p

·
Registered
525 Posts
I've heard enough!!!!!

Everybody put in an order for two senders immediately! Contact your fave vendor and order the coolant temp sender and the oil pressure sender. Neither cost very much, they are both dead easy to replace, and mainly, both of them cause a whole host of problems.

I venture that, due to irregularities with just these two sensors / senders, valves have been ground, engines replaced, and everything in between. Any unscrupulous shop may take advantage of bad idle, erratic idle, no idle, and low oil pressure readings to screw the unsuspecting Z owner.

Make replacing these part of your spring Z conditioning, alongside cleaning all your sensitive connectors, replacing those long overdue PCV valves (that's me), and doing all the standard annual car prep.

You will be glad you did! Always wondering "Is it the sender, is it the oil pump, is it the pan, is it the gage?", is risky with an engine this costly to replace.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.