ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month I bought an '84 automatic turbo Z with 124,000 miles on it. For whatever reason, the two times I test drove it and the day I bought it, I failed to realize that the digital dash reads that the car has hardly no oil pressure. When I start the car, the gauge will read just above 45 psi, but once it has warmed and been driven, the pressure immediately drops down to one or two psi's. I am going to be hooking up a different gauge to the engine tomorrow night to get a more accurate reading, but I was hoping someone here could ease my worries. Is it possible the digital gauge is malfunctioning? What could possibly be wrong here? Am I gonna be in a lot of trouble?

Thanks for all your help,
Jacob

·
Registered
145 Posts
its the sending unit. its located next to the oil filter. very common problem on our Z's. mine reads max, so no worries

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I hooked another gauge up to that bad boy, and it has plenty of pressure. What do I need to do about getting another sending unit? Is that a standard piece I can order, or am I just gonna have to live with it?

Jacob

·
Registered
145 Posts
autozone and the like sells them. its like 30 or so dollars i think, but id check at the dealer first. ive never inquired at the dealer, so they might be a lil pricey, but think of the cost of replacing the engine just because of a cheap/faulty sending unit (reads low/high all the time, so you ignore it untill.......)

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I ordered mine from the dealer. and for gods sake remove the starter motor to get at the pressure sensor. youll regret it if you dont.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.