ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I have a 73 240Z that we just bought..
Recently, the oil pressure is good when it starts but after the car idles the oil pressure drops off to the bootom of the gauge. Any suggestions? What should we check?
What kind of weight of oil and type would you recommend we should use? It is a 73 engine but the emmisons controls have been taken off and older carbs added.
Jeff and Clay
Bolivar, MO

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you have good compression you can generally use about 10w--40 oil. I've been using the Castrol brand for years in my Z.
If you'r compression is slightly less than good you'll want a heavier weight oil.

·
Registered
68 Posts
All Zs lose oil pressure when idling. It is a bad design, I think. Instead of using a new sending unit for mine (20+ bucks) I spent 15 on a sunpro mechanical guage. This was, of course, after I spent the money to replace the sending unit once. I now have a much more accurate guage and have something I can actually use to monitor the engine performacne. That mostly depends on the look you are going for though. This is a bad route if you are going all stock. IMHO, use straight 30 weight oil for the car. Have fun!

Ant

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.