ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a 300 zx owner for about seven hours now. Unfortunately I've already noticed something wrong. My car is a 1993/na, 5 speed. As far as I know, the only mechanical mod is an annoyingly loud, ricey exhaust. I bought the car about two hours from where I live. When I got home the car bogged down, sputtered, and the idle went from 1000 to between 0 and 500. The car almost died a couple of times, then the idle would speed up. Also, while in neutral, the oil pressure sits at the mark between 0 and 60 (we'll call it 30), when being given gas it raises as long as I rev it up. I haven't had a chance to check this while driving. ANY LEADS WILL HELP!!!!! I am a new Z owner who has wanted this car for a while. Please help me sort this out.

/Black 93, ugly wheels, ugly spoiler./

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
welcome and congrats on the Z buy. as far as the bogging thing where your idle bounces all over and sometimes dies, mine does the same thing (minus the dying part). its more then likely an electrical ghost in which ECU codes cant pick up. its still worth running them for piece of mind anyway, but if your ecu doesnt tell you anything then just start cleaning connectors

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Check the codes 1st, verify all your connectors are tight and corrosion free, then do a vacuum leak test. Do a search for boost leak test to find out how to do it.

You may also want to clean out your throttle bodies.

How many miles on the car? Do you know if the timing belt has been replaced? At what milage? Check for a sticker under the hood to see if the mechanic identified when the belt was changed. If you don't know when the belt was changed and you have 60K miles and above, then replace it ASAP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of your help! It's good to know there's a community of Z drivers to help each other out. I'm going to get on this stuff right away. And, as far as I know, the timing belt hasnt been replaced. This was first on my to do list.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I'm betting on the oxygen sensors being bad contributing to your idle problem. Have them checked by someone who can read engine codes...
My $0.02

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.