ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1972 Z and have problems with the oil leaking from around the oil pan. I have removed it and replaced the oil pan gasket several times with no luck. It seems like the gasket extrudes around the mounting bolts when tightened. Is there a better cork type gasket available? Anyone have any ideas to fix this problem?

·
Premium Member
40,970 Posts
1) the flange must be straight, use a straightedge and a small hammer to straighten out any divots or warping. Run the pan over a piece of sandpaper on a bench top to see the high spots.

2) use some sealant like halomar or permatex #2. SPARINGLY, just enough for a THIN, even coating on both sides of the gasket.

3) (I'm not joking here!) GET AN INCH-POUNDS TORQUE WRENCH AND TORQUE THE PAN BOLTS. If it's extruding, you either have a really cheap gasket, or, more likely, you are overtightening the bolts.

4) if you can find them, get some of the pan reinforcement pieces from later-model engines. They spread the force of the bolts out over more area, evenly gripping the gasket. It's a nice, touch but not required.

5) once, I GLUED the gasket to the pan using some contact cement, and used sealer on the block side (halomar), that one's been in since 87 with no leaks.

6) after you've driven the thing for about a weekend (400mi?) go back underneath, and make sure all the bolts still have the right tortque on them, if not retorque.

7) drive, enjoy, and return your Wal-Mart kitty litter for a refund and use the money to buy fuzzy dice!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.