ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here it is, im about to FINALLY drop my crown turbo setup in my 71. im going to rebuild the engine while im at it, however what kind of oil is best used with a turbo. presently im using 20w50 on my N/A L28. i was thinking of redline or royal purple, but the price is kind of high. however, if it is better for the turbo i will use it.

what do the rest of you use? synthetic? i heard that's a big no no. is 20w50 to thick? thanks for all your help -ed

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: oil on a turbo car</b>

Based on recommendation and past experience, I used synthetic oil in all my cars, ESPECIALLY my '82 ZX turbo. I don't care what everybody else says, I know this stuff works better than regular oil. I use Mobil 1. The only two drawbacks I can see to synthetic are price and the fact that it breaks up all the sludge in old motors. The latter makes frequent oil changes necessary the first couple of times. It will also make an older motor dribble more oil. But in new motors, the lubrication properties are so good that you can't use synthetic to break a new motor in because it won't allow the rings to seat. If I were you, I'd run discount oil in your new motor for first 1,000 miles (change it once at 500), a decent brand for next 3000 or so miles, then synthetic exclusively.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
If your worried about putting 20w50 in your car I wouldn't be, especially if you like to really rev your engine and/or you live in a really hot climate or only drive it in the summer time.We ran a dirt sportsman car in the N.E. for a number of years [Till we ran out of money] and my father who built the engines used nothing but Pennzoil 20W50 and STP engine treatment.He never lost an engine even though the one year he did let somebody else put together the engine and the builder put 10 0ver main bearings on a 20 under crank.If your interested the engine was a 30 over 350 two bolt mains and limited the r.p.m's to about 6500.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: Synthetic oil + high mi. engines

I had a bad experience using synthetic oil in my zxt I bought with 150,000mi on it. I didn't know about synthetic breaking up the sludge in an old engine and all of the sludge blocked the oil passages to the cam until it was getting no oil. It happened just a few days after putting synthetic in it. What I should have done was flushed the engine first.

BTW, I used compressed air to clear them, and motor flush and it is running strong so far, over 5000mi later. But there is some valve train noise.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Recommendation

When I rebuilt my turbo, I asked Mike at Majestic turbos what he recommends. He said Valvoline 10W-40 is the best oil for turbo cars. He went on to say DON'T use any additive, they plug up passages. He also said you could use synthetic, but you are just paying more money for nothing. (I don't want to upset the synthetics out there) I've got 20,000mi. on my engine without any problems whatsoever.
Anyway, that's my 2cents.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Recommendation????????</b>

Don't you think it's interesting that Mike would make a broad generalization like that about "additives" without any kind of proof or even personal testing to back up his "claim". I have a Z motor with 255,000 miles and using DWG oil treatment that has BETTER compression now than it had 4 years ago thanks to this product. No clogged passages, naturally.

·
Registered
904 Posts
RE: Recommendation????????

i think no one is totally right or wrong. it depends on your pocket $$$. i think the engine treatment is good as i use it before. the engine has a quieter cold start and smoother on highway speed. Well! i think synhetic oil is too expensive if we change our oil every 3k. any suggestions or comments

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: Recommendation????????

I have read articles that say those engine treatments cause sludge to build up in the engine over time.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
We have always used havoline 10w-30 in our cars. We ad something called Petron Plus to the oil (1 quart Petron 4 quarts regular oil). It majorly quites the motor and increases gas mileage. It is slicker than any oil additives out there. It is one of those oils that you can put in a car and drain it and race the car with no problems. I've seen it and done some of the test and it is great. The guy who invented it found out how to keep the oil from breaking apart under heat. They probably have thicker motor oil than this stuff. It is suppose to be more available on the West coast then the East coast. It is about $20 a quart though but my Dad sales it so it isn't a problem for me. Sam 75 280z

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.