ZCar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought a "78 280Z. Is there supposed to be oil in that shifter hole? It looks like motor oil, I don't know if it's gear box oil. I was taking out the shift handle to replace the bushings which have totally disintegrated without a trace, and I notice oil in the hole where the shifter rests, and when I blot it , it puddles in again. I also have some other type of oil seepage up front, near the tranny/engine connection, but it may be unrelated. so does the shift lever and bottom bushing somehow keep that oil in there? Or do I have a leak or both??

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
Not uncommon, but that oil sure looks like a odd color (green?). Anyway its from broken down seals in the shift striker rod. there is no pressure from the transmission so not going to leak out much. If it bothers you could pull the trans, remove the rear housing and service the o rings and seals that keep the oil out. If the trans is working fine I would leave it be.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info and the helpful vid. I may take the plunge and drop the tranny to do that striker seal and o-ring just because the oil odor is just too much to bear. Speaking of the oil, I'm not sure what the PO used in there, but it's not supposed to be motor oil, it's gear oil or ideally something like MT90 right? Thanks again

·
Registered
979 Posts
MT-90 is what a lot of people recommend. GL-4 transmission oil. there is a lot of talk about yellow metal safe oil, or low sulfur oil to prevent corrosion of the brass baulk rings. Some will say it does not matter, really all over the place on what to use. If you want you can deal with it at the next clutch service. have to pull the trans anyway. Its a good time to check for leakage around the front and rear seals (easy to replace), as well as replacing the clutch and throw out bearing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I will check the level too. I too had heard something about adding it thru the shifter hole, but I think using the fill plug on the side of trans is the best way to not overfill. And if it is overfull, it may have already ruptured a seal anyway, but either way I should check. And yup if I have to drop the trans it's at least a good time to replace front and rear seals like Dave M said too. The car's worth the effort to me. Thanks all. Will report back when I get in there and try to put up a pic for reference

·
Registered
617 Posts
Thanks for the info and the helpful vid. I may take the plunge and drop the tranny to do that striker seal and o-ring just because the oil odor is just too much to bear. Speaking of the oil, I'm not sure what the PO used in there, but it's not supposed to be motor oil, it's gear oil or ideally something like MT90 right? Thanks again
If you are smelling the oil, you simply need a new shifter boot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts