ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the other day as i am changing the oil i go to get the oil filter off and it is stuck and will not move! (ya, nissan made it real easy to get to too) i tried using a oil filter wrench too and still nothing. so i jus left it on and ill change it the next time. anyone got any ideas how i could get it off? or what could have caused it to get stuck?

·
Registered
868 Posts
What kind of wrench did you use. A strap style? If so you can try the one with teeth on it (will grab better) or just drive a screw driver through it and remove it. I had a few cars where I had to use a screw driver to remove.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well you can take a long screw driver, drive it throught the middle of the filter and use that as leverage. Its ugly but it works.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
this is stupid to use long screw driver!!!! take the starter OFF, it's only two screws and then you can access the filter SO MUCH easier from the buttom.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
at the place I used to take my Z to, they all used to scatter like cockroaches when you turned on a light cuz they didnt like removing my oil filter.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
remove the starter, its not hard at all. use a strap wrench as close to the base of the filter as you can get it. the 2 things that cause a filter to stick are not oiling the rubber gasket on the filter and or tightening it with a wrench, like it says on the filter, hand tighten only.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would not use the screw driver method cause if it still want come off your screwed if you have to take it to someone else. I have been changing them on an Anniversary since 84 and haven't had a problem very often.I finally went to a filter that has an adapter to fit on a ratchet. Buy only an adapter made of metal. the plastic ones strip at the ratchet. Could be the one on it might have an adapter that fits. Remember counter clock wise loosens. KKing

·
Registered
30 Posts
One more thing. If you cut a piece of emory cloth or sand paper the size of the inside of your wrench and glue it or two way tape it to the wrench you have a much better grip. KKing

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.