ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya guys I was just looking at the Jc whitney website and I noticed they were selling this product that goes over your oil filter and cool's it down? Do any of you know if this actually does anything or help anything? Any info would be greatly appreciateD:)
thanks and Zya
yuichi

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>That Looks like Junk.....</b>

Dude...

The idea is right.... but that product is pure junk.

Oil.... when heated is "thinner"... I'm not sure if you have, but if you asked the maid (or other trusted household help) to heat some oil in a pan... you would see that it flows much easier. Same thing happens in your engine.... however it is possible to get the oil to hot.... this happens when you drive the car hard for an extended period of time, like in a road race.... Or if the engine is reving at a high RPM... like anything over 6000... Drag racing engines are well known for being self distructive. Part of the problem is the oil gets to hot and stops working like its suppose to. Bearings wear quickly when not oiled...

Anyway.... a real oil cooler is attached to the engine... most of the common ones are attached with an adapter right where the oil filter is attached. It has hoses that lead to an element that looks just like a small radiator. About 1/4 the size.... in most cases.... This helps keep the oil cool, and also removes any excessive heat created when the car is driven hard.... The small radiator, is normally mounted in front of the regular radiator... this setup works very well. In addition to this, you typically see a double oil filter setup... two filters instead of one and are inline. The oil is filtered before it is cooled so the cooler doesn't clog.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
RE: I have a great way...

..To cool my oil.... I relocated the filter up front with one of those kits and I took a piece of flat aluminum and mounted the filter mount on it so the filter was behind the gril but in front of the radiator... I can take pics and post them if anyone wants to see them. I would recommend going with a Canton reusable filter for the durability of the housing..Mine is billet...or one from System1

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>That is a good idea.........</b>

Mike:

if I understand you correctly, your saying that you mounted the oil filter between the grill and radiator... that is a good idea... normally I see the filter mounted to the fender well. I'm sure this would help to remove the heat from the oil too. I can see how Yuichi's question can help reduce the temp of the oil. I just think the product shown on th webpage is a bad design. The ring clamp turned me off. If it had a better design for clamping onto the oil filter I might have been interested.

Dennis

·
Registered
69 Posts
RE: Mike, I like your idea.

Hi Mike,
I 've noticed that you 've always given out good ideas and advices. Thanks for the post Mike. Are you going to write a tech. page on rear brakes this month ? Cant wait to read about it.
Huy 260Z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>NEVER BUY OIL COOLERS</b>

Hello,
Last month my friend bought a "univeral" oil cooler and filter relocation kit from Summit for $90. After two weeks, 53 labor hours, and an additional $113, the car runs exactly the same. The kit was a piece of crap, there was sand and metal shavings in all the threads of the screws that ended up screwing us by dethreading half the bolts. The bolts were build with horrible tolerances, some bolts you'd have to force on with 312476187545 ftlbs of torque (we didn't use an impact wrench, I'm just saying it was HARD.) Overall, we had to repair 5 leaks, replace all the oil lines, rig up 3 new adapters, and use 2 tubes of JB Weld to fix the cooler leaks (we also learned that "rigging" + oil pressure doesn't mix) He overall (with all the oil we blew) ended up totally spending over $200 for nothing, everything was so screwed up he just decided to cut his losses and junk it.

Unless you're running nitros/towing/500 hp/insane then go ahead, the benifits are a total waste, instead just get a baffled / flanged / ribbed oil pan, and a nice mobil1 or k&n filter and run some pure synthetic oils, you're car will love you more.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I agree with Charlie - you already have a cooler

These devices all cool the oil by acting as a heat sink (viz. something - typically metal - that transfers the heat from the oil to the air). This is what the engine block and head does.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I can't agree with that

On every water cooled engine I've ever seen, the block and heads were never meant to dissipate heat, they were made to hold up to it. But when you start to increase horsepower, you usually increase combustion temperatures, which obviously subjects the engine to more heat and stress. To get things back to normal, an oil cooler can be used in conjunction with some better water cooling. (Unless your engine is air cooled, then it's VITALLY important to keep your oil cool.) I've run kits like that before wirth no problems at all. I would never build a rail buggy (air cooled VW engine) without one.
The easiest way I've found to add on an oil cooler (especially one of those barbed hose fitting kits) is to put on a remote oil filter kit and splice the cooler right into the filter lines. This keeps things nice and simple, 3 lines and 2 remote locations. I always put the cooler after the filter so I don't thicken the oil by cooling before forcing it through the filter.
I think saying that you don't need a cooler unless you have an outlandish engine (just because you had problems with one installation?) is not a very common opinon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.