ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have any reccomendations of the best oil filter to use on an 82zx?
I currently use Frams pha8. Is this filter widely used on Zs?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: oil filter advice</b>

One of the things I look for in a filter is a check valve that prevents oil from draining out after the engine is shut down. This is particularly important if the timing chain tensioner is oil pressure controlled. What happens is that the oil pump must first replenish the oil in the filter before it is distributed to the rest of the engine. No oil pressure at the tensioner allows the timing chain to slap around for a little while before it settles down. The check valve keeps the oil filter filled and gets the oil to the rest of the engine quicker. If the filter is positioned such that the oil cannot drain back, the check valve is much less important. The L24, 26 and 28 engines have the filter laying on its side, so it does drain back.

You can verify a filter has a check valve by examining the open end of the filter. You should be able to see a black or red diaphragm through the many holes (not the center hole where it screws in). Most standard Frams I have seen do not have this check valve. However, they have come out with a new series called Tough Guard that tend to have them. Check out the Fram TG8A. It is the right one for the L28 and it has a red check valve. Other brands have it also.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>check out NAPA brand</b>

They have the check valve in them and are a lot cheaper than the Fram's. The check valve also makes it easier when you change you oil - no more dripping oil down the side of the filter.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
K and N oil filter!:) Ph8a

i use this for my car i'm absolutly sure its better then those FRam's and i only use the K and N ones at Kragen's for 10 dollars which is a bit pricey but i like it;)
Zya
yuichi

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<b>RE: Filter Web Site Recommendation</b>

Lee,

Thank you for this excellent recommendation. I checked out the site and found it EXTREMELY informative. I can promise it will influence my purchases in the future!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.