ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed to tighten my alternator belt so I took off the splash guard and I noticed that there was caked on dirt and oil on the passenger side. Where do you guys think this is from? I inspected the area and didn't see anything in the engine bay from under the car.

My guess is its spilled oil from when I filled it two oil changes ago or that I'm leaking a little PS fluid.

thoughts?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
maybe if you had a picture of the underside of the engine area where that shield covers people could see if they see anything. If you have already looked and can't find a spot then it was prob just part of your spill.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Most likely it is a PS fluid return hose that has a clamp that needs to be tightened. Pull off the air intake hose feeding the throttle body on the passenger side, you'll be able to get a visual on the clamp or clamps that need tightening. And if your PS fluid is low, use only approved Auto Tranny Fluid in the reservoir.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Tak, knowing your methodical approach, I would assume you will very carefully take some scrapings of this underbody panel mess, then have it analyzed in some high techy lab for source. I assume you watch CSI?

My guess is slight leak or seeping from a passenger side cam cover. The analysis will detect whether motor oil, or steering fluid. Or, something weirder yet.

When I had to have my alternator replaced, the tech's comment was bad valve cover gasket as a contributing factor. How may of us will actually pull plenums and replace a slightly leaky cam cover gasket or seal? Hands?

I thought so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.