ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've run into something strange. Now.. from what I can tell from what the previous owner told me, the engine was never replaced.. however, my dipstick is on the passenger side. Not only that, but it is non existant. I'm guessing on oil levels. I don't have any leaks, luckily, so I just keep track at the oil change and watch the oil pressure.. but where can I get a replacement dipstick? From what I can tell from searching, the dipstick is shorter if it is on the pass side, and not only that, it's not normally there.. It's an 86, manufacture date 9/85. Any ideas? Thanks.

Post Edited (Oct 22, 6:51pm)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

there it is on the same side as the oil fill, passenger side. If I put a dipstick in there, it makes some god awful noise. Tried one from a nissan sentra as it was close to the same length as the one in my friends 88. It was the flexible metal type, so I don't think it did any damage being in there, but you can hear it rap against the dipstick if it's in. I've since taken it out.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My dip stick is on that side but I have a JDM Motor

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah. That's what gets me.. PO didn't say anything about the motor being replaced or any such, though it sure does purr like a dream. Not quite sure what to do, though. If I put a dipsitck in there, it sounds like it starts smacking the crank, and that's no good.. and I really need a dipstick! I don't like not being able to check my oil!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Your motor has been replaced. More specifically it has been replaced with a motor out of a FWD vehicle...... That would have been the front side of the motor, thus being where the dipstick would be easiest to reach. Try taking a dipstick out of a Villager minivan (the 3.0L), and see what that does.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Or a Maxima Dipstick. Isnt the Nissan Maxima V6 the same as the 300zx, just turned for FWD?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same year range as the 300zx? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
umm, on a FWD car, wouldn't the the tranny usually be on the driver side, the engine on the right, making the oil stick still on the right bank of the engine in order to face the front of the car?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hard body truck engine has dip stick on that side

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.