Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya all,

Topped up my oil at the weekend and after removing the oil cap noticed the smell of gas on the cap.

Is this something to be getting worried about??

I've got an L28 with no mods, any thoughts much appreciated. The car runs great so I was a little surprised.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Don't know if you have a problem or not, but I've always been warned of WATER in the oil, as this implies a broken jacket or some sort of leak. Using the same logic, it would mean that you have some sort of blow-by through the pistons/rings or could be that it's a faulty PCV valve.

In either case, I think some of the engine-guru's here will likely have a response.

FWIW

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about the smell unless you have engine problems that accompany it related to running very rich or cylinder misfires. Modern engines encounter significant fuel dilution in the oil at times (up to 10%) during cold operation. While it's not a good thing, once the oil temp heats up the fuel will boil out of the oil and be taken care of via the PCV system. I'm not 100% aware of the evap emission control devices on your car, but if you have a charcoal canister you may want to check the purge solenoid to make sure it is not stuck open. The solenid releases fuel vapor from the fuel tank during part throttle to prevent pressurization. You may be just detecting the purge system doing it's job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.