ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I heard that you could use asmall amount of transmission fluid in the gas tank to get all the carbon off the tops of the pistons and raise the compression slightly.. Is that True?? Last time I heard of anyone putting transmission fluid in the gas tank It killed the guys engine.

Dustin M.

·
Registered
98 Posts
> Hey I heard that you could use asmall amount
> of transmission fluid in the gas tank to get
> all the carbon off the tops of the pistons
> and raise the compression slightly.. Is that
> True?? Last time I heard of anyone putting
> transmission fluid in the gas tank It killed
> the guys engine.

> Dustin M.
no way man, it'll just make smoke.transmission fluid is an oil base.the only thing i have ever seen is the old timers (no disrespect intended) would run engine rpms up to around 2 grand and pour slight amounts of water straight down carb throat to bust up carbon. this actually does work but is a rather crude method.as for increasing compression, removing carbon buildup from the top of the pistons will actually decrease compression not noticeably so unless we are talking about serious carbon buildup.carbon buildup on the top of the piston actually decreases combustion chamber size therefore creating slightly higher compression, thats why carbon buildup is also associated with spark knock and valve rattle (known problems with high comp engines when you try to run them on pump gas).

hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
See: Fuel Injection Tune-up?

Hey Capt.,
See the string below that started with my questions about fuel injection tune-up. Part way through one of the old timers brought up the subject of using one quart of transmission fluid per tankful of gas to clean things up. Never tried it myself.
Phantom

·
Registered
432 Posts
> no way man, it'll just make
> smoke.transmission fluid is an oil base.the
> only thing i have ever seen is the old
> timers (no disrespect intended) would run
> engine rpms up to around 2 grand and pour
> slight amounts of water straight down carb
> throat to bust up carbon. this actually does
> work but is a rather crude method.as for
> increasing compression, removing carbon
> buildup from the top of the pistons will
> actually decrease compression not noticeably
> so unless we are talking about serious
> carbon buildup.carbon buildup on the top of
> the piston actually decreases combustion
> chamber size therefore creating slightly
> higher compression, thats why carbon buildup
> is also associated with spark knock and
> valve rattle (known problems with high comp
> engines when you try to run them on pump
> gas).

> hope this helps.

Dustin, Brett is right!! i am the old timer Phantom was talking about. i bought my car(at a young age) new in '78 and still drive it every day. i have always used auto xsmn fluid to keep the injectors and engine clean. i have dyno sheets to prove that performance has remained near new levels. no need for expensive mystery additives, although i also use DWG oil treatment to keep compression healthy. my engine has 253,000 trouble-free miles!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.