ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to make my 79 280 ZX (220,000 mi.) my daily driver again. (it has sat because the tranny was making funny sounds and vibrating)
Anyway I have an 83 280 ZX turbo (109,000 mi.) mechanically great, however COMPLETELY rusted, frame rails (in at least 4 places, floor pans, etc......complete loss)
Here's where I need the help...

I have a mechanic friend who wants to help me rebuild the n/a engine (3100 stroker build up)...

IF I GO THIS ROUTE...WHICH TRANNY IS STRONGER? I would assume the Borg Warner unit. However I have also heard that the Nissan tranny from the 79 is a very robust unit, and preferred by enthusiast (for the slick-click gear shift).

ANY KNOWLEDGE ON THESE 2 TRANNYS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. I assume that to keep the original speedo(130) I would keep the speedo cable gear from the original tranny, if I swapped.

I'm sure I'll have more ?'s as I go along...THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!!!

Mike Z

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The non turbo tranny will be plenty strong enough for your 3.1 stroker. The BW model is stronger, but you aren't going to be pushing enough horses for it to matter. (you didn't mention Nitrous, Turbos or Superchargers). If it were me, and both trannys were working properly, I'd go with the Nissan Unit.

I understand that the BW shift is a bit "notchy" when compared to the Nissan unit. Keep both trannys. If it turns out you have too much torque for the Nissan non-turbo unit, and it buys the farm, you'll have a spare.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.