ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I contacted to local Nissan Stealership here in G-Vegas (Greenville, NC) and they told me NOT to bring the Z by... they said they don't want to work on it because it's old and it's a TT

but i found the number for a local shop here and hopefully they can help me out.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
WHat a bunch of BS! There is more than one stealership in town, right?
Anyway, glad you (hopefully) found a reputable place to get it worked on.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NOPE... greenville is a small town, the next closest place is in Kinston, NC which is about 45min. south, but i don't want to drive the Z that far to get it worked on esp. with it all messed up

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
I hate it when dealerships say stuff like that. Granted, I may feel the same way if I were them, but come on... It's not because it's old, it's because it's a complicated car and your grease monkey mechanics can't/don't want to do a **** thing more than change the oil and run codes through an ecu.

·
Registered
602 Posts
haha that happened to me too when i thought my head gasket was blown the dealership in town said that their nissan mechanic was out for six months with a back problem so i called lansing .....45 minutes away they said they have never seen one in person and didnt want to ... so i called ann arbor and they said they could do it but didnt want to but if they did it would be 2400 dollars.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Why not do the work yourself?

I'm sure that except for reworking the head you could do it all. You could also buy a new head and then do all the work.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I remember that you metioned that you dont have the venue (location) to work on it too. Why dont you rent a storage room (single garage size) at Uhaul or somewhere for a month? Then you would be secure and come and go when you please. For the all the money that you will spend with a 3rd party to ger her fixed, you could by a decent set of tools, a FSM, and there you go. I am just saying that you have some options out there.
Just my .02..

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Zsdaddy I couldnt agree with you more. Working on cars is not hard by any means. Its only hard if you make it that way and think about it like that. All you're doing while working on a car is taking bolts out and putting them back in in the opposite order you took them out.

·
Registered
13,644 Posts
Luke, BUY A DAILY DRIVER AND SWAP THE ENGINE! You can always sell the daily driver afterwards and recoup your funds, plus swapping the engine will put a 50,000 mile motor in your car for LESS money than you're going to spend to have yours fixed!

Plus, 1) swapping a motor is a matter of unhooking things and rehooking them back and 2) when swapping it's simple to update other things as well, such as eliminating the EGR and AIV's, replacing vaccuum lines, etc.

It only makes sense!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
You are 600miles North of someone who could probably help you easily. What is the transport cost for your car to Z-addict? Could balance out knowing that you have someone you can count on to fix your car. Then again 600miles transported may be a bit much for some. I would do it if I was not able to fix my own car.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
i agree, you should try and do it yourself. if you have another car to drive that is. If the TT is your daily then find a shop and then buy some **** tools. how can you not have any tools and own a car. I'm by no means knowledgeable about anything on the Z, but I have tools. Even if you have a small set in a case. I think

i agree with what cville said, if you really think about it, that's almost all your doing. taking bolts off and then putting them back on. just follow instructions.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guys thanks for the advice.

BTZ... I HAVE TOOLS!! just not the ones needed for doing a valve job...

I also don't have the time, i'm a full time college student plus i have a job to work on top of that. I have zero time to be tackeling a job that i know nothing about. I just wish i had another car to drive temporarily while mine gets fixed.

Thanks for all your input guys, i've gotta go study for a Finance exam.

Laterz

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.