ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey I messed up my Z. I was installing new fuel injector connectors, did one at a time, went by the FSM wiring diagram, made sure they were connected to the right wires, made sure again, and again.... it is running like SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIII crap. To me it sounds like it would be an injector might not be firing, when I ran it , some inj sounded loud some sounded quiet.

I started out by wiring one, starting to see if it works, then starting another, but I only did that with one injector. Dumb Ass!

The idle is very rough (sounds and looks like its pulsing) and doesnt stay started very long, adding throttle doesnt help. I have to go borrow a multimeter so I can test it. Anyone have any Ideas?

·
Registered
428 Posts
A quicker way than using the multimeter is to take the longest flat screwdriver you have, start the engine, place the tip against an injector body, and put your ear to the screwdriver handle. If it is working you will hear the steady click, click, click of it opening and closing.

Charles

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Hi Szlash280z.
Charles gives excellent suggestions here and i would also add ....did you remember to put the rubber 0-ring at the bottom of each injector? This little rubber is critically all important as it will contain any/all air leaks past the injector nozzel that's inside the intake manifold. Also the plastic end-cap at each injector must NOT be cracked anywhere along its lenght. My 02 would be for you to remove the entire injector rails once more and start over. This time being cautious as to what you are doing and whats needed for each injector. Choosing not to redo all then I'd suggest you remove each connector from each injector and insure there is no green crud preventing a solid electrical contact. A small flat head screwdriver can help enormously in this area. Goodluck. Have fun. shane-

·
Registered
571 Posts
You said you changed the connectors correct?
What else if anything did you change or remove?
Did you remove any injectors?

Madeline Michele
Hollywood, FL

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi, I did not remove the injectors or the rail, I only rewired the injector connectors. Now I see black smoke coming out of the exhaust. I removed the spark plugs and all plugs have unburned fuel on them and it seems like oil maybe also. I replaced the coil and the cap n rotor but that didnt do anything. I had it running and removed the 4,5,6 plug wires and that didnt do anything extra to hinder the engine at all. Its getting the fuel, but still seems to be missing something. Its running really rich now. I didnt do anything to any system other than the injector wires and the timing hasnt been changed.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Here is just a thought i had....

If your car was running decent with the injector plugs messed up. Maybe all the settings that were set up on the car I.E. timing and such...were set up for the system not running correctly.

And now that your system is running correctly those systems need to be re-configured....its just a suggestion im not really sure...but when you eliminate the impossible....

Matt

·
Registered
702 Posts
Check to make sure your water temperature switch is still hooked up. I had a 77 that I replaced all of the fuel and injector hoses on. And when I put it all back together I forgot to plug that little switch back up. If I remember right its either on the thermostat housing and there is one on the radiator. I know my car did exactly that and as soon as I hooked it up, it was perfect again. Just check that maybe. Good luck. Mark

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I agreewith theabove, in that, you have just done something stupid. When I did this to mine I did not hook up the 5/8 " line that went from the throttle body to the air regulator. The result was the symptoms described above. Check the obvious. it sounds like a massive vacuum leak.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Crossed wires?

Did you possibly get the wire leads mixed up when installing the new connectors? I remember doing that job and it would be awfully easy to do so.

Craig
zcarcreations.com

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Re: Crossed wires?

I don't think crossing the wires would result in the symptoms above, but yo never kow. I know that according to MSA it si not supposed to matter how yo connect up the plugs. There is not supposed to be a negative or positive. Unfortunately, according to my "Fuel Injection" video, there is and it does matter. Int the video the narrator says that the only clue are the numbers written on the wiresd themselves. Keep then keyed in the same wires in the plug. He says the numbers are "nonsensical". However, I think you will find that they correspond to the pin numbers at the ECU, if you look at the pinout diagram in the FSM.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i checked all the wires, cross referenced the numbers on the wires with the FSM and with the old plugs, they are all hooked up correctly. I think the dropping resistor reduces the voltage to each injector so am I possibly getting too much resistance at my connections therefor causing too little voltage to the injectors and then false readings by the ECU? thermotime and water temp etc are all hooked up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.