ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long have I got after the chain starts to go before I'm SOL?

And is the engine "freewheeling" ie: will it smunchie everything if the chain starts jumping teeth or *insert equally horrid disaster here*?

Is there a way to simply tighten the chain without replacing it?

S

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There is no way I am aware of to tighten a chain, and usualy if the chain is stretched, there is a good change the gears are also about on there last legs.

Scott Milella

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brain 72z WRote:
Topic: RE: Timing Chain
Name: Brian 72Z ()
Date: 05-10-99 12:02

Are you sure it needs to be replaced? I'm not farmiliar with the setup on the 79, but with the older ones there is an adjustment you can make to correct for a stretched chain (up to a point, that is)

It only requires removing the valve cover and top pulley.

Anybody know anything about this?

S

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sue 79

Chiltons book shows procedure for adjusting chain slack. If you have any doubts as to the longevity of your chain, you should get it replaced. The valves will definitely impinge on the tops of the pistons causing a)bent valves b)cracked pistons c)mucho dinero spent

Good luck

Steve G

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fix it now....not later

if it skips a tooth...best case the engine just won't run...worst case is you have a big paper weight.

there is an adjustment on the cam gear to compensate for chain strech. need to remove the valve cover and see where the slotted line and cam gear notch are in relation to each other. there are three positions available. thats assuming the chain is not too worn. also, could it be the tensioner needs adjustment? haven't had to do this myself...yet! maybe some of the engine guru's will post.

fix it now not later :) good luck

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE: fix it now....not later

Well, my father (god I love having a father who is a licensed mechanic - too bad he doesn't have his own shop anymore) Anyways, he believes, having worked a few of these cars himself, that it's the rubber tensioner that has become chewed up and therefore is allowing the chain to slap around.

My thinking is though, if they're in there anyways, might as well save myself future hassle and replace the chain, right? 148k original on it, should be ready to go, right?

S

·
Registered
66 Posts
RE: fix it now....not later

Good idea. A 148,000 miles on the one you have is a better than the average life. You may want to do yourself a favor and replace the water pump while you have the front of the engine off. Good luck. :>)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hiya sue I have some prices for you are you ready?

timing chain kit with everything you need..... $80-$120 or $230 for OEM the water pump is $42
I just had the job done about 400 miles ago and used the $90 kit well I think tomorrow its going back in the shop for a redo its slaping like **** "I hope its the chain" its the only thing we can figer it is....

1. it was installed wrong
2. it was crap parts....
3. Im #uc%d and its not that and something else that we can't find

oh yeah the labor is $320-$380 thats the shops around here Nissan chages $65 hour and its 6-8 hour job

Nice talking to you again
hope works going well

Jeff 280ZXT

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RE: Hiya sue I have some prices for you are you re

I got an estimate sight unseen for the whole job (assuming it needs the whole job) at $508 inc. tax. Now don't forget, that's canadian, so it's bound to be more expensive. The chain and gear kit was $57 or some odd, and then the gasket/seals plus 5.9 hours labour.

The place I go to does good work, but they persist in treating me like a chick (ie they believe they can screw me round the bend I won't notice, and trust me, I"m a girl who notices when I'm getting screwed &-) ) and I think they might pull a fast one and say that oh this and this needs to be done.... when really it doesn't. *sigh* the only thing is, I can finanace through them... cause the VISA's a little high right now. &-)

S

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RE: Hiya sue I have some prices for you are you re

To bad you cant have someone do it for you or do it yourself...cause the parts are cheap and so is your labor...lol I have done this procedure a bunch of times...its no biggie really. Just alot involved with getting the front cover off..ie moving **** around.
good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.