ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so we have three cars,same weight,same model,same tranny/rear end . Car A n/a, B with nos, and C turbo.All cars were put on dyno,and have excatly same hp and torque figures at same RPM range(theory).Then we run all three of these cars 1/4mile and on street ,let's say with the same driver.Who will win the race?Nos system is effectve on 100% only at full throttle,right? Turbo has lag,right? N/A will work fine without lag and you don't need full throttle to push nos button.Do you think time will be the same for all these cars?All these cars will be equal in race?
This is just theory question.... BTW if there any guys who run nos on 240Z do you mind leaving your e-mail address i want to ask a few questions.Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I really dont know who would win. But i do know what car i would want to own for the cost of maintaining. Thats the NA and thats what ive got

·
Registered
572 Posts
The cars wouldn't have exactly the same torque characteristics. Unless you are talking sequential turbos the NA and Nitrous cars will have better low-end torque and should lead the way all other variables constant.

Three very different systems for very different driving styles and purposes.

I'd take the N/A as well. I plan to put Nitrous discretely on mine though for those special times in one's life when an Iroc believes he owns the road and wants to prove it. I have just started to look at the plumbing.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The points and figures for maximum HP and torque may be the same, but the "area under the curve" will be comletely different for each engine.

Assuming ~250 HP, the n/a engine will be a bit peaky w/less low end torque.

The turbo will have a fat torque curve from about 2500-300 rpm all the way to redline. Never have to worry about nitrous running out - just gas.

The NOS car would have whatever shot of nitrous/gas added from the rpm you start at to redline. Assuming a relatively stock engine w/100 hp shot of nitrous starting around 3000 rpm, this would be the engine to beat, until you run out of nitrous.

All of this assuming a stock 3.54 rear gear. Turbos LIKE the lower numerical gears to work against. The n/a engine would rather have a 3.90 or 4.11. This combination on an autocross/short/tight roadrace course would be the ticket.

The only use for nitrous is drag racing - not legal racing anywhere else. There are classes for n/a and turbo z cars in SCCA autocross.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
I don't know which would win, but personally, I'd own the turbo. My '82's turbo never kicked in until 3K rpm and then it was like hitting afterburners on an F-15. There was no lag because it doesn't enter into the equation until 3K anyway. Around town, it was essentially an N/A motor. I appreciate the N/As I currently own, but none have the thrill of the turbo. I still kick myself for letting it go.

·
Registered
25 Posts
nitrous, can be tuned to horsepower demands at low and high rpm ranges. if traction is a problem ,multi stage. if you want to see a z-car manifold plumbed for nitrous go to http://photos.yahoo.com/sss510six . my next motor is going to be a turbo nitrous motor. best of both worlds. good luck.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
one other thing, nitrous does NOT have to be activated under full throttle. most people just run the switch that way. you can have it rpm activated, throttle activated, or just plain switch activated. **** you can even hook it up so that the nitro is flowin even at idle! (not like that's a smart thing to do)

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Hey, I was looking at your T56 bell housing. Where did you have that part made. I am looking to install a T56 in my zx and I think i found a place that can do it, but if you already havegone through the fire so to spaek, I would really like to get the info from you to do the conversion for my car. I have been working on that project for a while and got side tracked with my wife and her car. Let me know, I am very interested in doing this conversion.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Now that I have gotten the T56 thing out of the way. I have a Jim Wolf Technology upgrade on my car. One of the things I can do is to run the turbo and NOS if I want to do so. The daughter card I am using right now is the NOS card they have developed.
Now my turbo really comes up on boost @ 3000-3100 to 20psi What I can do is to hit the engine with a 100-150 shot until 3000-3100 and shut off when the engine comes up on boost, and a number of variations in between. Now that is the most killer setup you can get. A limited Nos shot until the Turbo spools to max boost. This will give me the most Hp from idle all the way through the rpm range. The only thing that is bad here is that I dont like NOS myself. I have sean to many bad outcomes from the use of NOS and dont want to take the chance to hurt my engine.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Why would you not have it throttle activated? Lets say it is on an rpm switch alone, when you let off the gas at 5000 rpm the nitrous will still be going (with the throttle closed). That would destroy an engine. Most people have a throttle switch and an rpm switch that are BOTH required activate it. You do NOT want to spray an engine at low rpm where it is under heavy load and will bog, this will mean big engine trouble. Nitrous should not be sprayed under heavy load for long periods of time either (such as in a high speed run).

Kyle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.