ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 76 280z that i'm going to use for a weekend drag car.i want to put nos on it,but what all has to be done to the engine.i only want to run between a 75-100 shot.can some peaple tell me how hard it is to do and how much of a diffrent it made.and where can i get a kit from thanks ahead a time

·
Registered
645 Posts
With a stock motor that is in good shape you should only run a shot that's equivalent to about 40% of your normally aspirated horsepower. For you, this is something in the area of a 50-60 hp shot.

Anything above that requires overall strengthening of the motor (i.e. forged pistons, arp head bolts, etc.) and an intelligent ignition that will retard the timing (prevents detonation) when the juice is flowing.

Also recommended in either scenario is a dedicated fuel line, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel and NOS pressure guages, and a bottle heater.

The sportsman fogger kit from NOS (http://www.nosnitrous.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/NOS/index.html) plus the accessories I mentioned above will cost you approx. $800-900. The only special consideration required installing is tapping the intake. I had a shop do that for me and I believe NOS will do that for you too. Everything else you should be able to handle on your own.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
75 shot

You can get by with a single fogger at the throttle body and a 75 shot. 90 occasionally. I've run 75 shot forever, and fifty on the engine fro some time before that.
90 I use very rarely (probably 10 times over the years) I don't have any confidence that a 90 will last for any great legnth of time like a 75 or 50 shot would. My bud lifted his headgasket detonating on a 90 shot running almost an identical system setup as mine. It was funny, I laughed---he found no humoor in the situation whatsoever. So unless I REALLY want to win, I don't use the 90. As I near 150,000 miles on the engine and look to tear into it anyway for inspection I may use 90 more frequently to see if I can blow it up and use it as an excuse for a turbo conversion.
You need some of the stuff like James states as you near 100hp, and unless you are really going to get serious about the dragging and are going into the engine regularly for inspections, I'd stick to 75 or below HP.
I didn't like how hard the hit came from six nozzles in the manifold, I perfer the softer hit from mounting the fogger in the throttle body or rubber boot in front of it. Easier on the driveline. I've only replaced one driveshaft and the halfshafts, and they were suspect when I bought the car with 98,000 on it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.