ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 85 n/a auto and sometimes the tranny will shift so smooth u dont even feel it, but other times its shifts so hard its jerks the whole car. is that normal?
thanks

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Doesn't sound like it. The only time mine is somewhat jerky is when I get on the gas all of a sudden and it downshifts. Otherwise it is pretty smooth. When is the last time the tranny was serviced? Could be needing a simple service or it could be early signs of you needing a new tranny. Start with the tranny service first. If you large metal shavings come out thats a good indicator of a problem as well as burned fluid. Easy way to tell for burned tranny fluid is to pull the dip stick, after car has been driven, and look at the fluid on the stick. It should be red but burned fluid will be brown and will also smell burned; so take a wiff. Good luck

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'd say check your vacuum modulator...it helps control shifting. I'd only try a used or new Nissan vac mod though. Check the vacuum source first.

I had a few fair sized brass chunks and powder and some other grunge...along with burnt fluid around 55K ago....I cleaned the pan....new filter...totally flushed the fluid 2-3 times...now use Mobil synth ATF and Lubegard additive every 15K miles.

I might try Valvoline Maxlife ATF in the future............

Post Edited (Mar 11, 11:34am)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.