ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just bought an '82 280ZXT that I'm in the process of restoring. The factory seats are beige leather with suede at the top, and they are pretty beat up. On top of that, I don't think they are very comfortable and, quite honestly, I think they are ugly! Has anyone replaced their factory seats with seats from another kind of car? I'm trying to keep this somewhat low-dollar so I don't really want to buy new aftermarket seats (if they are even available for this car)- I was thinking of looking around the junkyard for something interesting. Just wondering if anyone else has done this, and what the results looked like. Any opinions on what kind of car has seats which would look cool?

Thanks!
Jeff

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have an 82 280ZX, it has the factory seats but they aren't leather, they are that velour (sp?) cloth material. I think they are the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. Anyways, I remember when I was looking for my Z about 3 years ago I test drove one that had leather seats that were pretty warn out, and I don't remember it being very comfortable. If you get a chance, try sitting in seats from a Z that aren't warn out and/or aren't the leather ones. Sorry I can't help with advice for non-factory seats, never done that before.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Jeff, Check your e-mail

I put 91 Eclipse seats in my Z. They are loads more comfortable and not very hard to install. I sent you a picture of them.

dave

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Hi. I just bought an '82 280ZXT that I'm in
> the process of restoring. The factory seats
> are beige leather with suede at the top, and
> they are pretty beat up. On top of that, I
> don't think they are very comfortable and,
> quite honestly, I think they are ugly! Has
> anyone replaced their factory seats with
> seats from another kind of car? I'm trying
> to keep this somewhat low-dollar so I don't
> really want to buy new aftermarket seats (if
> they are even available for this car)- I was
> thinking of looking around the junkyard for
> something interesting. Just wondering if
> anyone else has done this, and what the
> results looked like. Any opinions on what
> kind of car has seats which would look cool?

> Thanks!
> Jeff

On the ZX the seat belt piece is mounted to the seat itself, so to do this, you would probably have to make some kind of mount on the center column itself. At least that is the way mine is. I found some fairly good, comfortable 280zx seats at the pick n' pull yard for $20 each...

·
Registered
247 Posts
>I dont think it will be a hhuge problem to fit anoher type of seat in the car, just make sure that they fit nicely between the door and the center console. Check the Honda Preludes the have very nice seats but are kinda heavy or 91 or 92 Honda Civic, Crx Si these look like Recaros but are factory. As soon as I find a pair the right color I will take several pics of the project and post them here.
Good luck
Craig
C.M.G.76Z

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.