ZCar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car turns over well, but no start. New plugs and wires. 2 spark plugs have fuel on them, while the other 4 are dry. Does this mean that 4 injectors could be clogged or malfunctioning since it looks like no fuel is getting to those 4 plugs? Car has sat for many years. I cleaned out tank and fuel lines before attempted start. Thanks

·
Registered
541 Posts
Plugs with fuel on them aren't getting spark.

Dry plugs could mean no fuel or it could mean they're firing and burning the fuel.

Is the motor trying to start? Does anything sound like it's firing?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Injectors

Just pulled the fuel rail up and turned engine over. Zero gas coming from all 6 injectors. I'm just wondering if all 6 are clogged. car was sitting for years.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plugs with fuel on them aren't getting spark.

Dry plugs could mean no fuel or it could mean they're firing and burning the fuel.

Is the motor trying to start? Does anything sound like it's firing?
Just pulled the fuel rail up and turned engine over. Zero gas coming from all 6 injectors. I'm just wondering if all 6 are clogged. car was sitting for years.

·
Registered
979 Posts
You need to read the FSM on the EFI and start a systematic diagnostic routine. Still waiting to hear if there is a spark. If you are getting a good spark then you can focus on the EFI only. Its a good read and you really need to understand it if you plan on keeping the car, unless there is someone you can call on that knows these old cars, and I do mean call in to look at the car, diagnosing from a distance leads to a lot of red herrings.

·
Registered
979 Posts
opps I see you are not a newb from your join date, so I presume you have read the EFI, and know 1st step would be a pressure reading on the fuel.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
opps I see you are not a newb from your join date, so I presume you have read the EFI, and know 1st step would be a pressure reading on the fuel.
Yes, I agree with you. Sometime though, its best to get info from someone you has experienced the same problem. I do have spark, at the plugs, but this 81 has that external crank angle sensor that has a history of going bad. If I have spark, does that rule out a bad crank sensor? If plugs are firing does that mean the injectors should also fire? I do not have all the testing tools that mechanics have. I'm just not into that. But if I can identify the problem, I can change the part. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
979 Posts
well if you are getting zero out of the injectors when pulled, then I would start there. 1st thing get the fuel pressure checked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts